Trigger audio after REM sleep is completed

About the GUI application to design signal processing pipelines
oden

Trigger audio after REM sleep is completed

Post by oden »

Attempting to create somthing that I can use to wake me up after my REM sleep cycle has complete.
Doing some lucid dreaming experiements. The logic would need to be something like this:

Wait 2 hours. ie ingnore the first REM cycles so I can acutally get some asleep ;)
Detect REM activity, make sure it is at least 60 seconds long to ensure it is a REM cycle.
Once REM has completed for at least 10 seconds, play audio file.
Once I am awake I would need to disable the wait so it triggers on the end of the next REM cycle.

As I have python experience is the best interface via VRPN? Notice in one of the screen shots someone had a box titled 'Python' so I assume there is more then on method.

Currently experienting dectecting REM by using the EEG like an EOG which seems to be ok.

Any suggestion or comments welcome 8)

jlegeny

Re: Trigger audio after REM sleep is completed

Post by jlegeny »

Hello oden,

If you manage to detect the REM cycle with OpenViBE you could use the Sound Player box to play the audio-cue directly. As for using of either VRPN or Python it all depends on what you actually want to achieve.

Out of curiosity, which kind of EEG hardware do you plan on using?

Cheers
Jozef

oden

Post by oden »

Is there another way to interface with Python other then using VRPN?

Using a 2 channel OpenEEG unit.

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

A python scripting box is available in the SVN version of OpenViBE. It is currently a work in progress, nevertheless it works! So far there are no tutorials on how to properly use it though. They will be coming soon.

Another way of communication between OpenViBE and an external application is through Lua box and using sockets.