Alternate control schemes?

About the GUI application to design signal processing pipelines
Kajenx

Alternate control schemes?

Post by Kajenx »

Hi,

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!)

I'm a game developer (I work mostly in flash) and I'm really fascinated by your technology. After watching the video, I tried imagining moving my hands and feet at the same time, and I can understand the limitations of the current controls. I was wondering if it was possible to pick up the brain activity for any action/imagined thing, or if it was specific to hands and feet because of the strength/type of the brain activity for those actions? It seems to me like leaning in different directions would be an easier control scheme to imagine (because you could combine them by leaning diagonally), or perhaps even some sort of faked telekinesis where you imagine a direct push and pull on the objects on the screen. (I hope I don't sound ignorant, I don't know much about the science behind this... :3)

Also, I'm wondering where a person could get the hardware for something like this? I did some research on EEG headsets, and I didn't find much. I'm guessing it's still in the RnD phase, but I'd love to play around with it. The possibilities seem really promising!

- Luke

ariandy

Re: Alternate control schemes?

Post by ariandy »

Hi Luke,

For cheap EEG hardware you can take a look at ModularEEG at http://openeeg.sf.net.

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Alternate control schemes?

Post by yrenard »

Kajenx,

the reason we use left / right hand and foot movements is because signals related to this brain activity have been studied a lot. Theese signals are known to react in some specific frequency bands and in specific spatial places on the scalp (in the left and right motor cortex). Because of that, the different mental states can be discriminated quite well. Other paradigms exist, for example some brain activities related to attention can be detected when some expected event occur. You will have to read more on BCI basis to understand that. I recommand you find & read this article : Brain–computer interfaces for communication and control, Clinical Neurophysiology, Volume 113, Issue 6, Page 767, J.Wolpaw

For your hardware question, the hardware can be purchased from different companies. Look at the FAQ for supported hardware. I give a couple of links in another post.

As Ariandy said, for cheap EEG hardware you can take a look at ModularEEG at OpenEEG. A driver has been developed and will be included soon in the official release.

Best regards,
Yann