using the Emotiv with openvibe

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
ikdekker

using the Emotiv with openvibe

Post by ikdekker »

Hello,

I am trying to use openvibe to display the brain signals from an Emotiv headset. I have the PURE Xavier EEG licence, which should be usable with openvibe, or so I thought.

Is it possible to use the openvibe signal acquisition with this tool? I have also tried the CSV export, with limited success. I could only get it to display something after tinkering with it a whole lot and pasting the values into a working csv with time stamps.

I would like to know what the most efficient or best way is to achieve visualisation from the Emotiv.

Thanks!

jtlindgren

Re: using the Emotiv with openvibe

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi, this tutorial describes how to visualize data in real time,

http://openvibe.inria.fr/tutorial-whats ... y-headset/

Unfortunately we don't have a 'Xavier' in our lab (we had a 'Charles' but he left and his last name was something else), so its difficult for us to say if the OpenViBE Emotiv driver is compatible with that. If anybody takes it as their task to 'make it so', we are of course willing to consider including a patch. Also, if anybody has got Xavier working with OV, can chime in of course. :)

Best,
Jussi

tgaugry

Post by tgaugry »

hi,
There is a tutorial specific to Emotiv for 1.3 : http://openvibe.inria.fr/how-to-connect ... -openvibe/
Please note that it was not tested with Xavier.

Cheers,

ikdekker

Post by ikdekker »

Hey, we contacted the Emotiv support and they provided us with the license for the SDK. So we were able to connect using the acquisition server. However, it keeps disconnecting after we hit 'play'. The acquisition server says: "After 5000 milliseconds, did not receive anything from the driver - Timed out".

We checked this post for the error message http://openvibe.inria.fr/how-to-connect ... -openvibe/. It said that "This simply means that the driver managed to connect to the Emotiv engine, but the device is not sending any data to it. Please check if your device is turned on and working correctly on the Emotiv Control Panel."

The device is turned on and connected according to the control panel.

this happens after pressing connect and pressing play also results in the 5s error

Thanks

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi, could you enable the trace loglevel as described e.g. in the following post and send us everything that AS prints from startup to the moment it timeouts?

viewtopic.php?t=565#p3275

And just to be sure, you have a version of the headset / sdk / license / whatever that allows you to get raw data from the combination? We haven't kept abreast with the different licencing changes in the Emotiv product line.

Thanks,
Jussi

ikdekker

Post by ikdekker »

I am using the Emotiv Epoc+ Model 1.1 with the community sdk 3.5.

After contacting Emotiv, because I have the Pure EEG subscription they said
We do provide Advanced SDK license key for Pure.EEG subscription
and told us to download:
Please download the SDK on Github https://github.com/Emotiv/community-sdk/ (Download as ZIP). As soon as you decompress the file, you'll find a tool called "Emotiv_Tools_v2.0.1" in the "tools" folder. Please launch the tool and enter the key provided to activate the license.
I could not find that file, but did find the 3.5 version of the licence activator. Which seems to be fine too. I believe that should be all to retrieve the data with the AS.

Here is the complete log: https://pastebin.com/x9TwdKP3

maybe this is useful

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hello again, its well-known OpenViBE does not work with the Emotiv community SDK. That SDK does not give you access to raw data (unless Emotiv has changed their policies). There are several threads about this already if I remember correctly.

Best,
Jussi

ikdekker

Post by ikdekker »

But it should work with the advanced SDK right? I thought this was discontinued and now merged with the community edition sdk, because I could not find an advanced SDK download (https://github.com/Emotiv/advanced-sdk is deprecated). And Emotiv linked me there?

I have sent an email to Emotiv support once again to inquire about the possibilities and whether I can download such a research SDK.

ikdekker

Post by ikdekker »

Emotiv staff has told me the community edition now includes the Advanced SDK, as all API's are provided in the community SDK.

As such, does the Emotiv acquisition driver not work anymore (and should be labeled as unstable)?

Here is what Emotiv said:
Please ignore the folder named advanced SDK (https://github.com/Emotiv/advanced-sdk).

Now all APIs are provided in Community SDK. In Community SDK, there are 2 groups of examples :
Examples which could run without SDK license are placed inside folder examples_basic
Examples which need to have SDK license to run are placed inside folder examples_extra_prime.

With the license key you have activated, you can use EEGlogger in Community SDK to export raw EEG data.

Please let me know if there's anything unclear.

tgaugry

Post by tgaugry »

Hi,

Can you try using this modified acquisition server ?
I compiled a version using the new sdk, bu i unfortunately cannot test it as i don't have a licence for emotiv software.

Cheers,
Attachments
acquisition-server-emotivtest.zip
(11.1 MiB) Downloaded 441 times

Willux

Post by Willux »

Hello

I have the exact same issue. Since we bought a new headset (2ADIH-EPOC02), OpenViBE no longer seems to be receiving data from the headset.

I also managed to compile the 1.3.0 version with the EDK 3.5, but it seems that the EEG data is not getting through.

After reading about the licenses in Emotiv, I suppose we need to incorporate the emotiv license key for the advanced edition into OpenViBE some how and that this may unlock the EEG data, but I am not sure at all. This will also mean that the use is limited to 30 sessions a month, which won't be an option for us.

I mailed Emotiv about this and I hope either they or this forum will provide me with a solid solution. If I get any answer from them, I'll post here again.

tgaugry

Post by tgaugry »

@Willux : Can you try with the acquisition server posted in my previous post ? Thanks

Willux

Post by Willux »

Hello tgaugry

I have tried the acquisition server you provided above, but this doesn't work either.
You find the output attached.

I think you are missing a way to enter the user credentials of the advanced license. I did find a reference in the source code of the acquisition server to the Emotiv License functions in the dll, but these don't seem to do anything at run time or at compile time.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot.png (65.24 KiB) Viewed 24794 times

tgaugry

Post by tgaugry »

Hi,
I think you are missing a way to enter the user credentials of the advanced license.
Isn't it what the "Emotiv Tools v3.5 License Activator" is supposed to do ? This software can be found in tools folder in the Emotiv SDK.
You have to enter correct credentials, and it should grant the whole machine the right to use Emotiv products (while it's opened).

Cheers

Willux

Post by Willux »

Well, I asked that question to Emotiv:"How do they know a license is active" but I am yet to receive an answer...

Fact is that I ran the activator, that they acknowledge that on the username and pasword I entered there is an active license, but still openvibe is not receiving any data...
I even opened the tool and opened openvibe at the same time, but unfortunately still no data came in.

The EEG data logger tool, a demo project in the Emotiv sdk, did receive data. So I am certain all is set up correctly.

I will urge Emotiv to provide some asnwers, because this is taking far too long.

Thank you for the support and effort already provided though!