Connection failure using Generic Raw Telnet Reader driver

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
slackconsulting

Connection failure using Generic Raw Telnet Reader driver

Post by slackconsulting »

I'm attempting to connect the Acquisition Server to an OpenBCI UltraCortex w/Cyton board and believe I have the Generic Raw Telnet Reader driver configured properly; however, I see the following error on the console and in the log and am uncertain what step to take to troubleshoot this.

Log Result:
[ INF ] Adding plugins from [C:/Program Files (x86)/openvibe//bin/openvibe-plugins-stream-codecs*.dll]
[ INF ] Added 21 (21) plugin object descriptor(s) from [C:/Program Files (x86)/openvibe//bin/openvibe-plugins-stream-codecs.dll]
[WARNING] Registery key Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Brain Quick - System 98\EEG_Settings is not initialized
[ INF ] Loading plugin: ExternalStimulations (deprecated)
[ INF ] Loading plugin: TCP Tagging
[ INF ] Loading plugin: LSL Output
[ INF ] Connecting to device [Generic Raw Telnet Reader]...
[ ERROR ] Could not connect to server [localhost:12345 (12345)]
[ ERROR ] Connection failed...
[ INF ] Disconnecting.

I have confirmed that the OpenBCI Gui application and the Cyton/dongle are all communicating properly (I am observing brain wave activity). Also I originally used the default Generic Oscillator driver to test things after installing the P300 Speller software and it appeared successful.

[ INF ] Adding plugins from [C:/Program Files (x86)/openvibe//bin/openvibe-plugins-stream-codecs*.dll]
[ INF ] Added 21 (21) plugin object descriptor(s) from [C:/Program Files (x86)/openvibe//bin/openvibe-plugins-stream-codecs.dll]
[WARNING] Registery key Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Brain Quick - System 98\EEG_Settings is not initialized
[ INF ] Loading plugin: ExternalStimulations (deprecated)
[ INF ] Loading plugin: TCP Tagging
[ INF ] Loading plugin: LSL Output
[ INF ] Connecting to device [Generic Oscillator]...
[ INF ] Connection succeeded !
[ INF ] Starting the acquisition...
[ INF ] External stimulations (deprecated) activated...
[ INF ] Now acquiring...
[ INF ] Stopping the acquisition.
[ INF ] Disconnecting.

Does anyone have any experience (or suggestions) in properly establishing a connection with OpenBCI equipment or could provide any insight into troubleshooting the Raw Telnet Reader driver?
Being new to this software- I am hopeful I have just missed something simple, please let me know if I can provide any other detail.

Other Specifics:
Install: openvibe-1.3.0-setup file downloaded from the http://openvibe.inria.fr/ website

tgaugry

Re: Connection failure using Generic Raw Telnet Reader drive

Post by tgaugry »

Hello,

Could you describe your setup a bit more ?
The error you get means that the AS could not connect to your external data source. Is there a server actually sending data on port 12345 ?
This can also be the firewall blocking said port.

Cheers,

slackconsulting

Hello,

I have tried turning off the Windows firewall (no difference), no server- as far as I know the Acquisition Server /driver is trying to make a connection to the serial port created by the OpenBCI dongle (that communicates wirelessly to the Cyton board, which in turn is communicating with the UltraCortex).

Since I'm new to this setup I was following the following blog post (as a baseline- to see if I could get things working):
http://blog.jfrey.info/2015/02/04/openbci-p300-coadapt/

I also noticed that the Acquisition Server has an OpenBCI driver, which I am going to try to see if I get a better initial connection result.

Thank you, for your interest in my challenge.

tgaugry

Post by tgaugry »

Serial port ? The driver you are attempting to use takes data from a network source and make it AS compatible (ie tansform a stream of data for one client into something multiple OpenViBE instance can get data from).
Is that really what you want ? From what i understand, the OpenBCI driver seems a better fit for your task (see http://openvibe.inria.fr/drivers-openbci/).

Cheers,

slackconsulting

Hello,

I was able to get the OpenBCI driver to work, initially it did not work with the auto setting but when I changed auto to the Com port (/serial port that was created, in my case it was Com4) I was able to successfully establish communication with Acquisition Server, bring up Designer and confirm signals with Signal monitoring.

Thank you for your interest in my challenge and making recommendations, this helped in getting me to a place where I now believe I can begin evaluating the P300 speller. I now consider my issue (of establishing initial communication) resolved.

tgaugry

Post by tgaugry »

You're welcome :)

Don't hesitate if you need something else, or to show us the results of your project, it's always nice to see how OpenViBE is used !

Cheers,