Acquisition server crashes with mBrainTrain Smarting amp.

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
tkoenig

Acquisition server crashes with mBrainTrain Smarting amp.

Post by tkoenig »

I wanted to report a problem with the openvibe acquisition server, it crashes after about 1h of being connected with the mBrainTrain Smarting device with the following error message:

(openvibe-acquisition-server.exe:3284): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkpixmap-win32.c:302: CreateDIBSection failed: Not enough storage is available to process this command.

(openvibe-acquisition-server.exe:3284): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkpixmap-win32.c:114: DeleteObject failed: The operation completed successfully.

(openvibe-acquisition-server.exe:3284): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(openvibe-acquisition-server.exe:3284): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_size: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

I've downloaded the code, could compile and could so far run the whole package. I use MS-VC 2010 on a Win10 machine.

I tried to debug, but the debugger localized the problem somewhere in the libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll, and displays raw assembler code.

tkoenig

Re: Acquisition server crashes with mBrainTrain Smarting amp

Post by tkoenig »

I've been investigating this further, and this seems to be caused by a memory leak. The task-manager indicates an ever increasing amount of memory allocated to the acqusition server. I guess at one point the memory is full and the graphic routines then run into trouble and produce the error messages I posted.

I started to debug with tools to identify memory leaks, and the debugger says there are. Haven't been able to locate the code where this happens, thought. Importantly, this also occurs when I choose other drivers (the oscillator or the generic file reader), thus it seems this is not a problem of the driver, but of the server.

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi tkoenig,

we cannot debug contributed drivers very well, such as the mbraintrain one (please contact the contributors), but we can investigate memory leaks of general nature. The leaks you mention appear to be on the Designer side, since that is where gdf file reader is located? If you look at the memory available on your computer, does it seem that it is running out of it or that the memory use of either designer or acquisition server is prohibitely high? For example, with task manager. Or could it be graphics memory? What is the minimal setting or scenario you get a big memory leak with?

Further info would be helpful to trace this down.

Thanks,
Jussi

tkoenig

Post by tkoenig »

Dear Jussi,

I'm slighly confused at the moment. Yesterday, I thought I had the issue also with the Generic Oscillator driver and the Raw Data Reader driver, but this seems not to be the case. The task manager now only indicates increasing memory usage for the smarting device. So I think I have to fallback on the company. I'll keep you posted.

ttselha

Post by ttselha »

I have the same problem noted above on a window system. Does anyone know the solution please?
Thanks

ttselha

Post by ttselha »

tkoenig wrote:Dear Jussi,

I'm slighly confused at the moment. Yesterday, I thought I had the issue also with the Generic Oscillator driver and the Raw Data Reader driver, but this seems not to be the case. The task manager now only indicates increasing memory usage for the smarting device. So I think I have to fallback on the company. I'll keep you posted.
@tkoenig, were you able to solve this issue? I am using brainAmp series driver to do online sleep feature detection and recording. The designer crashes about 1.5 hours into recording the signal.