Acq server of 1.0.0 doesn't run with Cognionics driver

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
barten6

Re: Acq server of 1.0.0 doesn't run with Cognionics driver

Post by barten6 »

results:
1.)
increasing the log level of the acquisition server and the designer by finding openvibe.conf under share/openvibe/kernel/ and editing that to set the Kernel_MainLogLevel to Trace.
I don't understand the structure of this file and it seems that I had to arrange Special Access rights to edit it, but I've been able to set the log-Level in the Designer to TRACE by the "pencil"-Icon in ist function bar- unfortunately I have no Feedback in the console.
2.)
You can also use EBML spy box on the acquisition client box signal output to see if any chunks are coming from it
I did also that, no entries in the target file. should I set the log Level of the EBML spy box to TRACE, INFORMATION or DEBUG ?
3.) I've seen an error in the Acq Server dialogue saying "could not receive Memory buffer size"- sounds relevant. where should I check and correct it?
rds
P.B.

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

By choosing some specific log level in a box selects which category it will send its logs out as. Then, in Designer (or the .conf) you select what level(s) you want to see.

The key item in your report is #3, this is a little confusing way of the Acquisition Client to say that it was unable to get data from the Acquisition Server. Usually
the reason is that the user forgot to press 'Play' in the AS. It might also be some firewall problem, but from my side this is just speculation.

Hope this helps,
Jussi

barten6

Post by barten6 »

thanks again for yr help, Jussi.
finally, I succeded to get data from cognionics to the OV-Designer: I'll describe the successful process below, to make it available to other users.

before, let me ask you concerning yr Statement:
By choosing some specific log level in a box selects which category it will send its logs out as
:is there any docu explaining which log-Level is helpful for which purpose?

ok, now back to the acq Server:
reason is that the user forgot to press 'Play' in the AS. It might also be some firewall problem
in fact, the error mssg stemmed from one "play-less" Trial. No Firewall-prob.

the process described below works in my Environment (win8.1, Cog-Mini2 170).
I'm not sure, however, if really all Settings are mandatory.

Set up BT-connection:
  • Pairing the Cog-Mini2 170 acknowledging the code, presented by the BT-setup program (not with “0000” or “1234”).
    Find out the COM-port# for “Standard Serial BT” (e.g.8 )
Configuration settings in the device manager for the COM-port# :
  • Bit/s = 57600
    Advanced:
    Box “fifo 16550” OFF
    Set the Size of the 2 buffers to minimum
Implement a Signal Stream using the Cognionics Connector “cognionics.exe”:
  • Download “Cognionics-1.05.1.zip” from ftp://sccn.ucsd.edu/pub/software/LSL/ > ALT / view / open FTP-Site in Explorer/ Apps, unzip
    Execute “cognionics.exe” (instructions under https://code.google.com/p/labstreamingl ... /Cogionics)
    Click “unlink”-box if shown
    Enter COM-port#, sampling rate (e.g. 300), number of channels (all channels, also the trigger channels = 4 @ 2 data channels) and the channel labels (dummy names allowed).
    These settings can be saved via click on “file”
    Click “link”-box
Call the OV-acq-server 1.0.0 >
  • “Driver Properties”: in “Device Configuration”, “signal Stream” the name of the Cognionics-LSL-connector should show up > apply
    “Settings”: change “Drift Tolerance” to 4 ms
    CONNECT
    PLAY
Call the OV-Designer 1.0.0 >
  • Open your scenario, start it
    Set parameters in an evtl. Raw-data-display to AUTO (per channel).
that was it!
Now you could add another helpful advice, Jussi:
do you have any batch-file to call OV-acq Server and OV-Designer plus additional programs (such as cognionics.exe and AHK) with ONE COMMAND ?

best rds
P.B.

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi Barten,

good news you got it to work, and thank you for sharing the info!

About your questions,

1) best solution is to enable all the loglevels even if this creates a lot of junk. Its up to the calling code to decide what level they output what in, so although there are some conventions, not all boxes and components behave in the same way. The log levels are really like categories from less to more specific.

2) We don't have such a script, but you can 'easily' do it yourself, I imagine on windows you just use text editor to write a .cmd file with something like

Code: Select all

START "C:\program files (x86)\openvibe\openvibe-acquisition-server.cmd"
"C:\program files (x86)\openvibe\openvibe-designer.cmd"
The START command launches the server to the background and goes on to launch designer. I didn't try it though.

Happy hacking,
Jussi

barten6

Post by barten6 »

fine, tnx again, Jossi!
P.B.