Acq server of 1.0.0 doesn't run with Cognionics driver

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
barten6

Acq server of 1.0.0 doesn't run with Cognionics driver

Post by barten6 »

Hi,
since I have installed V 1.0.0, I can't run the Acq Server for Cognionics.
Calling the Acq Server, I get a warning "registery key Software?VB....is not initialized" , and subsequently no Connection can be established-
under the last former Version, both Drivers, "cognionics" and "LSL" did work. which one is supposed to work with 1.0.0 ?
rds
P.B.

gserrier

Re: Acq server of 1.0.0 doesn't run with Cognionics driver

Post by gserrier »

Hi,

There were no structural change in the driver so it should still work. Sadly the engineer that deals with driver and the acquisition server is in holiday until next Monday. If you can't wait, I recommend you to use the acquisition server of version 0.18, the flux is compatible with the designer from 1.0. (http://openvibe.inria.fr/pub/bin/win32/ for old version)

Can you be more precise about LSL? Do you mean that the acquisition server is not able to connect to a device with LSL?

Guillaume

barten6

Post by barten6 »

Hi Guillaume,
thank you for your post- basically, I would appreciate the author of the Driver to have a look on it when he is back.
here some more Details about the prob:
  • I'm running win8.1 and have downloaded OV 1.0.0., designer runs perfectly.
    I activate Cognionics Headband Cog Mini2 170 via Bluetooth, no Problem.
    now I start OV acq Server.
    the (black) command window Looks like below-
    clicking then "connect", message "Connection failed" appears.
I also like your idea to use Acq Server 0.18 together with designer 1.0.0, but I don't know how to load/install the acq Server seperately. Can you give me an advice how to do it?
thanks in advance
P.B.
Attachments
OV_Acq-Prob.jpg
OV_Acq-Prob.jpg (255.3 KiB) Viewed 15838 times
OV_Acq-Prob.jpg
OV_Acq-Prob.jpg (255.3 KiB) Viewed 15838 times

gserrier

Post by gserrier »

Hi,

You joined two times the same picture.
About the lsl issue, according to the log, you forgot to select a lsl stream. To select one, you have to open the properties window (by clicking on driver properties), and select a stream in Signal stream combo box. Please note that the lsl stream should be already set up to be visible in the list. The acquisition server allows you to not used a marker stream but you must have a signal stream.

Install 0.18 next to 1.0 is a bit tricky. You have to install both designer and server (the designer in it self doesn't use so much spaces as a lot of libraries are used by both software).
1/ Rename your directory openvibe in Program Files(x86) with an other name (the new name is temporary).
2/ Install 0.18.0.1 with the official installer (http://openvibe.inria.fr/pub/bin/win32/)
3/ Rename the new created openvibe directory in Program Files(x86) to openvibe-0-18 for example
4/ Restore the name of the first directory
Now you just need to open the acquisition server in the OpenViBE-0-18 software to use the one of this version. Some configuration files have been update with the new version, that can lead to some errors, especially with the designer. So try to launch only the acquisition server. Start the designer should not breaks things, only make you lose some "personal" settings.

Guillaume

barten6

Post by barten6 »

Tnx for the fast and precise answer, Guillaume.
Yes, the missing LSL-stream might be the problem- I just don't know, however, where to get the Name from and second, how to put it into the Input window (the Position "LSL-data-stream" ) is greyed, as shown in the atachment (I'll try to attach it only once, this time).
Any advice how to fix it...?
best rds
P.B.

PS: what is the best suited Format for attachments in the Forum?
Attachments
OV_Acq-Prob2.jpg
OV_Acq-Prob2.jpg (185.27 KiB) Viewed 15827 times

gserrier

Post by gserrier »

The driver automatically put every compatible lsl stream in the network in the corresponding combo box. For the signal part, a compatible stream is a float32 stream.

To be able to select the stream, you need to have a lsl stream already set up in the network with a float32 type.

barten6

Post by barten6 »

...that's ok, but where do I get this mysterious LSL-stream from ????

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi Barten & Guillaume,

the Cognionics driver is an external contribution. This means mainly the contributor or people having the actual device may be able to answer questions about it. The core team does not have the device. Please see page

http://openvibe.inria.fr/supported-hardware/

We don't currently demand documentation for drivers as usually their usage is quite straightforward - and afaik we don't have one for the Cognionics driver - but if anybody is able to provide some, we're happy to publish it.

About the LSL driver, I did that one myself and it should work. However, I'm curious what version you have been using, since the LSL Driver was not in 0.18.

In any case, to use the LSL driver in 1.0, you first need some other application to create the stream which the driver connects to. There might be some application reading from the Cognionics device and sending from it to LSL, but I don't know if such an app is publicly available. After the stream is up, the OV driver should sense it from the local network and show it as selectable. Note that the parameters of the stream need to conform to the OV drivers expectations (data should be float32, markers as ints).

Hope this helps,
Jussi

barten6

Post by barten6 »

thanks for yr post, Jussi.
About the LSL driver, I did that one myself and it should work. However, I'm curious what version you have been using, since the LSL Driver was not in 0.18.
In any case, to use the LSL driver in 1.0
for the time being, I'm concentrating on the LSL Driver in 1.0 to get OV to work with the Cogn HW (not LSL with 0.18). To use AS 0.18 together with Designer 1.0 was just the fall back idea , if AS does not work with LSL in 1.0- which seems to be very unlikely now.

let me take down what I have found out so far (unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the LSL-concept, and I did not yet understand, what a LSL data stream really is and what Kind of info it should contain, so my comments may look a Little silly):

There is a "Cognionics Connector" app named "cognionics.exe", which is included in "Cognionics-1.05.1.zip", that can be downloaded from ftp://sccn.ucsd.edu/pub/software/LSL/
using ALT / view / open FTP-Site in Explorer/ Apps .
It provides a window to enter COM port#, sampling rate, number and Labels of channels and a "link"-function.
having completed it, the field "Signal stream" in the Driver properties of the OV AS shows "Cognionics/Cognionics_C2", and a Connection can be established.

Now questions:
In any case, to use the LSL driver in 1.0, you first need some other application to create the stream which the driver connects to. There might be some application reading from the Cognionics device and sending from it to LSL, but I don't know if such an app is publicly available. After the stream is up, the OV driver should sense it from the local network and show it as selectable. Note that the parameters of the stream need to conform to the OV drivers expectations (data should be float32, markers as ints).
  • is this "connector" the required app you mentioned above?
    now as I still don't get data from the AS through OV's acq Client into my OV 1.0- Scenarios: what can be the reason for that? (float32...?)
    where should the "markers" stream come from, and what do you mean by ints (Interrupts...??) ?
best regards
P.B.

gserrier

Post by gserrier »

Hi,

I took a quick look to the code of the Cognionics-1.10.1, the stream is compatible with the acquisition server. So if the connector is running, you should see the stream in the properties windows of the lsl driver.

int = integer
The flux marker come from any lsl source that stream integers. The Cognionics connector you use doesn't provide you that kind of stream. But this flux is not required for the lsl driver, is just optional.

Guillaume

barten6

Post by barten6 »

thanks!
So if the connector is running, you should see the stream in the properties windows of the lsl driver.
yes, it does. Only Trouble is, that no data arrive at the Output of the acq Client. I checked the functionality of the HW and the BT-Intfc, they work fine.
Any idea, what the reason can be?
Rds
P-B-

gserrier

Post by gserrier »

Do you have any error logs in the designer?

Guillaume

barten6

Post by barten6 »

Do you have any error logs in the designer?
no, except those, which stem from execution of some test functions within the Scenario (see screenshots). the Raw Data Display after the AcqClient reads Zero.

by the way, here is again my q concerning the Forum: which Format do you recommend for graphic attachments...?

P.B.
Attachments
OV_Acq-Prob4.jpg
OV_Acq-Prob4.jpg (236.19 KiB) Viewed 15807 times
OV_Acq-Prob3.jpg
OV_Acq-Prob3.jpg (209.6 KiB) Viewed 15807 times

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Its better to post logs as text, imo. Or if its necessary to use pictures, use ones that are clearly readable. You can probably use the preview option to see how they look. Its also possible to edit a post later, I think.

Its hard to say what could be the problem, you could try increasing the log level of the acquisition server and the designer by finding openvibe.conf under share/openvibe/kernel/ and editing that to set the Kernel_MainLogLevel to Trace. This may reveal something.

You can also use EBML spy box on the acquisition client box signal output to see if any chunks are coming from it. This is more 'low level' than signal display which might just not be drawing it for some reason.

Cheers,
Jussi

barten6

Post by barten6 »

excellent ideas, Jussi, I'll try out and Report.
concerning attachments: d'accord with text, for Pictures the Q is which file Format could be used to attach Screen shots, as the Forum Limits JPGs to 256k (which is hard to achieve).
P.B.