Neurosky Mindwave, OpenVibe and Windows 8

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
Gutenberg

Neurosky Mindwave, OpenVibe and Windows 8

Post by Gutenberg »

Hello everyone!

I'm aware that Windows 8.1 (64bit) isn't an officially supported architecture, yet I wonder if anyone here has been able to get OpenVibe to successfully work on a computer running Windows 8?

I managed to install OpenVibe, and the acquisition server and OpenVibe designer loaded perfectly. I've got a Neurosky MindWave that I've hoped to use for brainwave studies, and the acquisition server apparently was able to recognize it and connect to it.

However, when I wanted to start recording (from the server interface), I got these error messages:
"No valid packet from thinkgear for a while, returning prematurely".
"After 5000 milliseconds, did not receive anything from the driver - Timed out".
The MindWave works with the software it came bundled with, so is it safe to assume that it is the architecture on my Windows PC which is the problem here?

Thanks in advance,
- Gutenberg

Sergio Vivar

Re: Neurosky Mindwave, OpenVibe and Windows 8

Post by Sergio Vivar »

Hi.

I had the same problem. Windows set the Mindwave USB dongle as "USB SERIAL CH340".

In Device Administrator: right click on the device --> Update Driver Software --> Find Driver Software on Your Computer --> choose from a list of device drivers on your computer and select "Mindwave USB Adapter" (you must have installed the drivers of the headset).

I hope this help you.

Sergio Vivar