Renaming Channels with the Emotiv EPOC

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
lbonnet
Site Admin

Renaming Channels with the Emotiv EPOC

Post by lbonnet »

This question has been raised by a recent discussion we had with one of our users.
As it may benefit to others, here is the transcription :

Laurent-
when using the aquisition server with the Emotiv driver I have the option of renaming/labeling electrode channels, which is exactly what I want to do. However, after doing so when I follow the GUI option of saving the modified device configuration into a file the GUIs requests me to "select a file to save too...". Without having a default config file or such like, or a description of the file format requested, how could I do this? What would be the procedure to rename channel assignment once and have this ready for future sessions?
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Renaming Channels with the Emotiv EPOC

Post by lbonnet »

The Emotiv EPOC has 14 channels, and you theorically cannot move them on different positions.

When I developed the driver, I took the 10-20 position labels given by the manufacturer as my channel names.
Doing so I removed the possibility to rename channels... Same goes for the channel count you cannot change in the driver properties (14 no matter what).
I still kept the "rename channel" button in the GUI; that's a mistake regarding what I wanted to do.

If you need to rename the channel, I assume you changed the positions, or you need another naming convention...
In these cases I suggest you use the Channel Rename box for that purpose, directly after the Acquisition Client box. You specify in this box the channel list with semi-colum separator (e.g. C1;C2;C3;C4)

The new channel names can of course be saved in the box settings (you can save these settings to export them using the "usual" setting files).

To answer the underlining question about renaming the channels in the acquisition server and saving these names, I updated the Acquisition server documentation section.
To save the names you need to:
- Click on "rename channels" button
- select a name for each channel index
Then you can:
- save the names in a file. The file produced is simple text, one name per line. For example:

Code: Select all

C1
C2
CP3
CP4
Hope this helps !

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !