Using Brain-Products V-Amp in OpenVibe

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
rflamary

Using Brain-Products V-Amp in OpenVibe

Post by rflamary »

I just added this topic to explain how to use the V-Amp aquisition with OpenVibe.

-First the proprietary software has to be installed on a Windows machine (Vision Recorder V-Amp Edition) .
-Activate Remote Data Access in Configuration/preferences
-The data is available at the IP adress of the Windows machine on port 51244.
-To get the measures on OpenVibe, use the BrainAmp ScalpEEG Driver with the IP adress of the Windows aquisition machine

Protocols are compatible!

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Using Brain-Products V-Amp in OpenVibe

Post by yrenard »

Thank you very much for this feedback. I will put this in the documentation as soon as possible. Also, you may have noticed that I turned the Brainamp driver to "unstable" state because people who developed it at INSERM recently found couple of bugs. Unfortunately, they did not have time to solve them for now. So this driver should be used with care... Consider validating what you are mesuring before actually starting a real experiment with it.

I will post a message when those bugs are corrected.

Yann

bdudout

Post by bdudout »

Hello,

We tried to make an experiment with a BrainProducts V-Amp 16 and OpenVIBE, but unfortunately the driver breaks down when we start an acquisition.

We exactly followed the above how-to. When we connect the acquisition server to the remote acquisition application, the headers are shared and it seems to work. But when we start the acquisition server, the acquisition server stop with a segmentation fault, and the remote acquisition application stop its acquisition.

We tried with a recent openVIBE SVN version, on Ubuntu 9.10.

Somebody has an idea ? an idea how we could debug ? somebody to contact ?

We already know the above rflamary IRL so we know that he has not already the solution ='( !

Thanks a lot for any reply !

Brice

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear bdudout,

thank you for your interest in our software.

The vAmp use through the Brainamp recorder software has not been tested on our side so I can't tell you much about the problem. However, Laurent Bonnet recently developed a driver natively dedicated to the vAmp (with direct connection, no more need for the recorder software). This driver is already accessible in his development branch of the acquisition-server application in the SVN repository.This driver will be integrated in the next 0.5.0 release (mid/end december).

If you want early testing, feel free to do it, Laurent will help for sure (I'll tell him about this post however).

Best regards,
Yann

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi bdudout,

Indeed I have developed a driver for a BrainProducts VAmp-16 device.
It is available on the SVN repository under \openvibe-applications\acquisition-server\branches\wip-lbonnet-vamp.

The driver relies only on the windows FirstAmp SDK (API + lib), thus it does not need the Brainamp recorder software.
However, this driver is only supported on Windows (fully tested on Windows XP so far).

It requires the FirstAmp SDK, that BrainProducts provided us in order to make the driver. I'm not sure we can give it along with OpenViBE (we need to check the license), but if you bought a VAmp device, maybe you could have it from BrainProducts. If you have the FirstAmp SDK, be sure to svn-update your openvibe, specially in \cmake-modules. The script FindThirdPartyUSBFirstAmpAPI.cmake is necessary to use the driver (this script search the .h and lib, under C:\Program Files\FaSDK by default).

Since it's a work-in-progress driver, the documentation is not already available, but I would be pleased to help you use it !

Regards,

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

bdudout

Post by bdudout »

Dear lbonnet and yrenard,

I thank you a lot for this help and we will try as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Brice

bdudout

Post by bdudout »

Dear all,

We tried to use the lbonnet's branch but unfortunately, the branch was deleted from the repository (for a good reason i think).
We thought that this branch was integrated in OpenVIBE like you said, but we hadn't still found the driver in stable or unstable version ?

Best regards,

Brice

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear bdudout,

the driver is now available in the trunc. We'll release 0.5.0 as soon as possible.

Yann