open vibe win32 won't run & modeeg use

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
kentmartin35

open vibe win32 won't run & modeeg use

Post by kentmartin35 »

Hello,
I came across open vibe in the open eeg hardware feedback forum.
I downloaded OpenViBE 0.4.0 RC 4 Installer (2009/06/29) in the win32 section and installed it.
I restarted the computer after installation.
When I try to run(designer or any application), it opens a command box and has the message "the system cannot execut ethe specified program".
I am running windows xp pro version 2002 service pack 3.
The PC is a AMD athlon 3.01 Ghz dual core (new am3 socket)
and is running directx 9.0c.
I assumed this was a windows installation package and should run without development environment.
Can anyone tell me what is wrong here.
Also if you could point me in direction of notes of how to use this with modeeg hardware, that would be good.

Thanks,
Kent.

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: open vibe win32 won't run & modeeg use

Post by yrenard »

Hello and welcome on this board.

I expect the installed files to be able to run standalone. However, even if you don't have development environment installed, you may want to try to install Visual C++ 2008 redistributable runtime. You will find it on Microsoft's dedicated page. Tell me if this solved your problem. If it did, I will have to include this redist package in the installer !

Concerning your second question about modeeg hardware, there is no driver developed for modeeg right now. We do not have such hardware so can not reasonably develop such driver. We expect interested developers having this hardware to create a driver. Here is a good documentation page to start with. And of course, we will help as much as we can, for sure :)

Have a nice day

kentmartin35

Post by kentmartin35 »

I downloaded and installed ms visual c++ 200 SP1 as described, and get some more progress now.
It now displays a message "This application failed to start because d3dx9_38.dll was not found."
and suggests reinstalling the application which I did, but the same thing occurs.
I noted in the command prompt a warning "WARNING Ogre initialization failed, 3D rendering disabled " when the failure occurs.
The application did however start up, Is it working correctly?
I was looking for an example design could not find them, any ideas?

Regards,
Kent.

kentmartin35

Post by kentmartin35 »

Ok , all working now.
I had to download "directx_aug2008_redist.exe"
from microsoft.
My PC has been updated with service pack 3 and the directx version has not changed since installing the new directx.
You might need to inlcude this along with the C++ 2008 distributable.

Regards,
Kent.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Hello,

the second problem you had with missing d3dx*.dll is detailed in the FAQ page. If you want details, check the "On Windows, launching OpenViBE complains about missing d3dx9_33.dll or d3dx9_38.dll, what should I do ?" question !

Including DirectX in OpenViBE does not sound like a good idea to me. DirectX is more a system component than a software and is pre-installed on lots of machines. Founding a way to warn the user with a more explicit message and pointing him the place where he can download DirectX is probably better.

I will include the VC2008 redist in the next releases.

Thank you very much for your feedbacks. Now everything is working, are you planing to write a ModEEG driver ? If you actually plan to develop such driver, this documentation page is the right place to start with !

Yann