Using BrainAMP MR PLUS EEG device

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
hhallez

Using BrainAMP MR PLUS EEG device

Post by hhallez »

Dear all,

I'm testing out OpenViBE with our recently acquired BrainAMP system (BrainAMP MR Plus). However I seem to have run into a problem running the OpenViBE acquisition server application (I'm using Windows XP). I downloaded and installed the (*I think*) most recent version of OpenViBE 0.6.1. However when I choose the Brain Products Brainamp Standard (through Vision Recorder), I obtain the following error

[ ERROR ] First Message received is not an header!
[ ERROR ] Try to reconnect....
[ ERROR ] Connection failed...
[ INF ] Disconnecting.

The Vision Recorder Host Name is localhost and the port is set to 51244. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Hans

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Using BrainAMP MR PLUS EEG device

Post by yrenard »

Dear hhallez,

thank you for your interest in OpenViBE and welcome on this board.

We do not have that BrainAMP MR Plus at INRIA. I will forward your request to the INSERM people who wrote that driver so they can further assist you in getting your setup working.

Yann

matthieuG

Post by matthieuG »

I don't know that particular amplifier but in the case of Vamp/FirstAmp of Brain Product (same compagny), you have a conflict with the installed software. There is a service named VampService you can kill in taskmanager (on windows) and so free access to the amplifier by openViBE. Only remove and plug again the usb cable after this operation.
Maybe it helps (if same configuration...)

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hello there !
you have a conflict with the installed software. There is a service named VampService you can kill in taskmanager (on windows) and so free access to the amplifier by openViBE.
I already investigate this problem in the devlopment of the VAmp driver, and asked BrainProducts about the problem :
The readme given along with the SDK said to desinstall the recorder software, and it's a good advice. The recorder is using its own dll, and is executing an utility called "VampService.exe" that takes exclusive control over the VAmp (even when the recorder is closed). So when the Recorder is installed, my driver can't access the device. By the way, It would be nice to have an "uninstaller" with the recorder :-)
I didn't have any answer... I will ask them again and post their reply asap.

Regards

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

This sub-topic regarding the Vamp driver has been moved to a dedicated topic here.

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

hhallez

Post by hhallez »

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, killing the VAmpService.exe and disconnecting/connecting the the USB cable from the acquisition device did not work.

I also downloaded the latest release of openvibe (0.7.0).

I will try to make a DEBUG build and debug while running.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear hhallez,

sorry for the confusion Matthieu put in that thread. Indeed, the Brainamp Standard driver is different than the V-Amp driver. That service thing was about the V-Amp driver, forget it.

The people who developed the Brainamp Standard driver are currently on holidays. I hope they can help you when they get back.
This driver has not been updated in the 0.7.0 release however.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards,
Yann

jdsitt

Post by jdsitt »

Dear Yann,

We are also using the Brainamp standard driver trough the Vision Recorder for our BrainAmp MR amplifier.

Everything runs on the same windows computer (Vision Recorder; Acq sever + Designer).

Remote data access is activated on the recorder side.

When we try to connect with the driver we get two errors:

[ERROR] First message received is not a header!
[ERROR] Try to reconnect...

We would really appreciate any help to solve this.

Best,

Jacobo Sitt

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear jdsitt,

unfortunately, I can not help you on that issue.

You may want to contact the INSERM guys directly and see if you can get support from them. I'll PM you there email address.

Hope this helps,
Yann