Install Problem

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
eegX

Install Problem

Post by eegX »

Hi,
Downloaded the 0.4.0 version of the win32 version of OpenVibe. Read through the FAQ and noted the DirectX .Dll problem. I wanted to see if I got the same problem on my W2K machine and I did. I then installed directx_aug2008_redist.exe from the MS site and that got me past that issue. I noted in another post in this section that the MS VC++ redistribution 2005 SP1 needed to be installed too. I wanted to see if not having that would be a problem and it was. I then installed vcredist_x86.exe from the MS site, which is the VC++ 2005 SP1 redist.
No luck, the installer for some reason doesn't find these files and says: "downloading openvibe-vcredist-2005-sp1.exe, download failed: resolving hostname".
Unfortunately, my W2K machine does not have web access so the installer is not able to get this file, which I've technically allready installed.
Any ideas on a solution appreciated. Maybe the VC++ files need to be in a location where the installer expects them to be? Or maybe the VC++ redist I've installed is the wrong version?

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Install Problem

Post by yrenard »

eegX,

wait a minute, windows 2000, no internet connection ? You are not trying to make this easy for me, right ?

Ok, the OpenViBE installer can detect if DirectX is needed or not. If it is needed, it is automatically downloaded from Microsoft website and installed. As you don't have an internet connection, you made it manually and DirectX is now detected correctly.

Now for visual 2005/2008 redistributable packages, I didn't find a way so that the OpenViBE installer detects if they are needed or not. So I try to download / install them even if already present. I see a workaround... the download is skipped when the file to download is already present on disk. So the workaround would be to make this file available before installation... Here would be the procedure :

1- remove any installed OpenViBE
2- create C:\Program Files\openvibe\dependencies\arch folder
3- download visual 2005 sp1 redist and save it as openvibe-vcredist-2005-sp1.exe in the previously created folder
4- download visual 2008 sp1 redist and save it as openvibe-vcredist-2008-sp1.exe in the previously created folder
5- install OpenViBE in C:\Program Files\openvibe

I expect this to work...

But...

If it doesn't, please understand that windows 2000 + no internet connection is not a priority for us.

For next releases, I will include the visual redist package in the installer better than downloading them... I won't include DirectX because it's quite big. This will solve the "no internet" part. For the windows 2000 part, seriously, I can't do anything ;)

In hope it helps,
Best regards,
Yann

eegX

Post by eegX »

Hi,
Tryed the method described but the install still hangs on "downloading openvibe-vcredist-2005-sp1.exe. "Download failed: resolving host name"
I tryed this with the renamed files as you suggested, then again with both renamed files getting the prefix, but with the same results.
I then noticed that after the failed install that the install program left another "arch" directory. I removed the install, added the openvibe, dependencies, and this time the "arch" directory. I then renamed the files as before, but without the prefix, and put a copy in each of these directories (shotgun approach). This got the install program to complete.
But, trying to run the apps listed (aquisition server etc) I got errors telling me that the program couldn't locate the msvcp90.dll and msvcr90.dll. I searched my C:\ drive but those files were not on it. Downloaded these dlls from dll-files.com and put them in the openvibes bin directory. But another try at running the aquisition server and other components generated errors.
So I called it quits and uninstalled the program. Anyways, thanks for trying to help.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

eegX,

the msvcp90.dll and msvcr90.dll files should have been installed with Visual redist packages. Maybe you could try to install them manually see if it works...

For the prefix, sorry, this was a mistake in my original post that I corrected now.

Yann