Driver, Neurosky MindWave 2.1+

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
Michael

Driver, Neurosky MindWave 2.1+

Post by Michael »

Mr. Bonnet,
Hello. The new driver works with Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 without a network. On starting Acquisition Server, a continuous connection is confirmed by both the headset light and the USB-wireless adapter light (steady blue).

However, in Acqusition Client box i did not specific an Acquisition Server host name. I simply left ${Acquisition Server host} and port number 1024 as is. Below are some compiler lines with warnings.

[WARNING] At time 0.000 sec <Box algorithm::Acquisition client> Could not connect to server localhost:1024 .
[WARNING] Invalid connection

Computer shut down was required to reestablish a connection (MindWave headset > USB Adapter > ThinkGear Connector > OpenVibe Designer).
The signal display box in Designer did not show any activity.
The COM box was grayed out in Driver Properties.
Checkmarking ESense and Power became unchecked when viewing Driver Properties again.

This is the first time trying to run a scenario in Designer.
The adapter is using COM4 port. Will try again today to investigate COM4 status.

Michael

P.S. I think a CH341 chip is used in MindWave's USB-adapter. http://wch-ic.com/product/usb/ch341.asp because Nanjing Qinheng Electronics Co., Ltd wrote the driver for it;
according to MS-Windows device manager.

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Driver, Neurosky MindWave 2.1+

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Michael,
On starting Acquisition Server, a continuous connection is confirmed by both the headset light and the USB-wireless adapter light (steady blue).
This does not necessarily mean that the OpenViBE driver can make the connection with the Thinkgear connector. But it's indeed the first step : a connection is made between the headset and the PC.
However, in Acqusition Client box i did not specific an Acquisition Server host name. I simply left ${Acquisition Server host} and port number 1024 as is.
The setting value ${Acquisition Server host} is a configuration token that will be expanded with its value at runtime. Default value is localhost. You can manually set it to the network address of the Acquisition Server (name of the PC on the network). Port number must be the same as set in the Acquisition Server (1024 is the default value).
Below are some compiler lines with warnings.

[WARNING] At time 0.000 sec <Box algorithm::Acquisition client> Could not connect to server localhost:1024 .
[WARNING] Invalid connection
I assume this warnings are produced at runtime in the Designer (when playing the scenario). It simply means that the client could not connect to the server.
Be sure to have the Acquisition Server connected and playing before playing the scenario (see this doc page for some help)
The signal display box in Designer did not show any activity.
Another evidence of the connection failure between client and server.
The COM box was grayed out in Driver Properties.
It means that the Acquisition Server did not find any valid COM port to connect to.
The adapter is using COM4 port. Will try again today to investigate COM4 status.
It's in the valid range... so it should be ok.
Please have a look at this post. This Mindwave user had some problem using the driver with his headset, but now it works fine ;)
P.S. I think a CH341 chip is used in MindWave's USB-adapter. http://wch-ic.com/product/usb/ch341.asp because Nanjing Qinheng Electronics Co., Ltd wrote the driver for it;
according to MS-Windows device manager.
This is probably the main cause of your trouble. The driver will find the device only if it runs the driver provided by Neurosky (and not windows), as stated in this post.

I hope this helps !

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !