Getting markers in EEG signal

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
Lisa

Getting markers in EEG signal

Post by Lisa »

Dear OV-Team,

I'm creating an experiment with Unity, EEG and OpenViBE, where I want to have markers sent to the EEG-signal over OpenViBE, whenever some defined actions happens in Unity. Therefore, I've been trying the Github project "BCIManager" https://github.com/xskola/BCIManager - however, I've been getting errors, that the socket of the AS is not ready and I cannot find myself to solve this problem as I have followed the instructions step by step.
Does anyone have experience with this BCIManager or has any other suggestions for me to get markers in my EEG from Unity to OpenViBE?

Thankful for any help!

Best, Lisa

Thomas

Re: Getting markers in EEG signal

Post by Thomas »

Hi Lisa,

I haven't had the chance to test the BCIManager library, but I contacted xskola, who created it and who is also on this forum. He will hopefully be able to provide some insight. I will try to give it a test in the coming days as well.

The error message seems to indicate that the BCIManager does not find the socket of the AcquisitionServer. As mentioned in the troubleshooting section, have you checked the following (sorry if you already have!) :
If the BCIManager does not connect to Openvibe AS, check that AS is running and in Play mode. Also check hostname and port, or firewall settings if running on another computer than Unity software (generally not recommended due to network delays).
Another option to communicate from Unity to OpenViBE is through the LSL library. You can see a Unity exemple here. The scenario displayed in the Readme is installed with OpenViBE, in the box-tutorials/Games folder (when clicking on the open folder icon).
Once you see how the unity code works, you can also use the LSL Communication box from OpenViBE, which is a generic box that you can configure to receive/send streams (Stimulations for exemple) over LSL.

All the best,
Thomas

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your reply and your support!

Yes, the troubleshooting steps I already checked in advance, however the issue still persisted. So now I tried your Unity Project to manage the marker sending/receiving - thanks for sharing! When including the LSL Dependency, I get the following error concerning the Controller Script:
Assets\Scripts\Controller.cs(29,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'liblsl' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
Did I miss another dependency necessary to set up the Hello Sender project?

Thanks a lot in advance and all the best
Lisa

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Lisa,

In the controller script, there is a using directive "using LSL4Unity", which contains the liblsl class.
I'm guessing LSL4Unity is therefore not present (although it should have triggered an error on the using directive before the use of liblsl).

It should be in the following folder: Assets/Plugins/LSL4Unity/. Is there anything inside ?
If not, run following git command:

Code: Select all

git submodule update --init --recursive
The LSL4Unity lib happens to be a submodule of the project that needs to be pulled.

If there were already files in the folder, did you pull them with the git command above, or did you take them from somewhere else ?

Thanks,
Thomas

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hi Thomas,

thanks a lot again for your help!
The command did it for me. Originally, I just downloaded the zip from Github. Now, I pulled it via git, ran the command and everything worked.
It's possible now to send different triggers from Unity to OpenVibe and with the right OV-set-up also receive the markers in the EEG data stream. :D

All the best
Lisa