g.MobiLab+ on Windows 7

Obtaining data from various hardware devices
jtlindgren

Re: g.MobiLab+ on Windows 7

Post by jtlindgren »

Cypheus wrote:Hi Everyone,

I want to use OpenViBE to read data from a g.Tec g.MobiLab+, however it does not show in the list of devices in the Acquisition server (Windows 7 64-bit, binary version 0.17.1). My lab only has access to the Windows driver, so I can't compile the driver from source as I do not have access to the C API. Does this mean I won't be able to extract real-time data from the g.MobiLab+ at all with OpenViBE, or am I going about this the wrong way?
Hi Cypheus,

Windows gMobiLab+ support is not in 0.17.x and in 0.18 it will only exist as source code. The reason is that we are not aware how to successfully compile both gtec usbamp and gtec mobilab+ support to the same application on Windows. If you can obtain this information from gtec (e.g. a concrete example code with both libs linked that doesn't crash when accessing the devices), we would be more than happy to include both once we know how we can do that. Currently we consider usbamp to be more important of the two so gMobiLab+ will be disabled in the binary OpenViBE.

Best,
Jussi

Athan

Post by Athan »

Are there any updates concerning the g.MobiLab+ support on Win7?

It would be really useful for OV to integrate it since it is a popular device in research.

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

My previous reply is up-to-date. We are unable to proceed without assistance from gtec. Meanwhile, if people want to use the MobiLab+, they will have to compile OpenViBE 0.18 themselves, enabling MobiLab+ and disabling gUSBAmp.

Best,
Jussi

Athan

Post by Athan »

jtlindgren wrote:My previous reply is up-to-date. We are unable to proceed without assistance from gtec. Meanwhile, if people want to use the MobiLab+, they will have to compile OpenViBE 0.18 themselves, enabling MobiLab+ and disabling gUSBAmp.

Best,
Jussi
Where do i enable/disable this, from the contribAcquisitionServerLinkLibs.cmake ?

Thanks

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

In cmake-modules/, make "FindThirdPartyGUSBampCAPI.cmake" an empty file. That should do it.

Cheers,
Jussi

Athan

Post by Athan »

jtlindgren wrote:In cmake-modules/, make "FindThirdPartyGUSBampCAPI.cmake" an empty file. That should do it.

Cheers,
Jussi
hmm, i rebuild it and still doesnt appear in the acquisition-server.
I added also in "..\contrib\common\contribAcquisitionServerLinkLibs.cmake" a line "INCLUDE("FindThirdPartyGMobiLabPlusAPI")"
FAILED to find GMobiLabPlusAPI + lib + dll
is there anything else i must tweek?

thanks

edit: my machine is x64 :/

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Ah, do you have the C API from gtec installed? As far as I know, this is not free and cannot be distributed by us. However, it is required to build the mobilab support.

Best,
Jussi

Athan

Post by Athan »

jtlindgren wrote:Ah, do you have the C API from gtec installed? As far as I know, this is not free and cannot be distributed by us. However, it is required to build the mobilab support.

Best,
Jussi
I have it installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\gtec\gMOBIlabCAPI\PC\Lib including both the header file .h and the .lib.
I changed also the path on the FindThirdPartyGMobiLabPlusAPI.cmake to the API location.

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

It worked for me, so its hard to say what goes wrong.

I'd add MESSAGE("blah...") statements to the Mobilab find script to see what component it cannot find and then check if its there. Note that it expects to find the dll in one of the two locations, "C:/Windows/System32" or "C:/Windows/SysWOW64" depending on the system.

Cheers,
Jussi

Athan

Post by Athan »

jtlindgren wrote:It worked for me, so its hard to say what goes wrong.

I'd add MESSAGE("blah...") statements to the Mobilab find script to see what component it cannot find and then check if its there. Note that it expects to find the dll in one of the two locations, "C:/Windows/System32" or "C:/Windows/SysWOW64" depending on the system.

Cheers,
Jussi
I have the .h and .lib files in the folder. Do i have to built a dynamic library (dll) as well?

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

No, the .dll is something you should get from gtec.

Best,
Jussi

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

I've put up a separate installer for OpenViBE 0.18 compiled for Win with gMobilab+. It has not been tested -- consider it an 'unofficial bonus'. :)

You can find it from here,

http://openvibe.inria.fr/pub/bin/win32/

Good luck,
Jussi

Athan

Post by Athan »

Thanks a lot!

Its a life saver! :)