linux mint <linux-install_dependencies> error (ZLIB_1.2.0)

bdrockwell

linux mint <linux-install_dependencies> error (ZLIB_1.2.0)

Post by bdrockwell »

Hello all,

SHORT VERSION:
New to linux and openvibe, running the latest Mint distro, downloaded the source, and am trying to run the linux-install_dependencies script. I get this error:

Code: Select all

gcc -fPIC -O3 -DUSE_MMAP   -c -o inffast.o inffast.c
gcc -fPIC -O3 -DUSE_MMAP   -c -o minigzip.o minigzip.c
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libz.so.1 -o libz.so.1.2.3 adler32.o compress.o crc32.o gzio.o uncompr.o deflate.o trees.o zutil.o inflate.o infback.o inftrees.o inffast.o
rm -f libz.so libz.so.1
ln -s libz.so.1.2.3 libz.so
ln -s libz.so.1.2.3 libz.so.1
gcc -fPIC -O3 -DUSE_MMAP -o example example.o -L. libz.so.1.2.3
as: libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libbfd-2.21.53-system.20110810.so)
make: *** [minigzip.o] Error 1
~/Desktop/SeniorDesign/openvibe-0.13.1-svn3210-src/scripts/software/tmp ~/Desktop/SeniorDesign/openvibe-0.13.1-svn3210-src/scripts
Is this something I have to install before-hand or something that should be installed naturally?

LONG VERSION:
I'm a senior EE working on a project with the Emotiv Epoc, previously I had been using the emokit (github.com/qdot/emokit) to extract the EEG data and matlab to process and view it. I've heard about OpenVIBE but never really experienced it before. I also hear that there are some swanky features that go well with the Epoch.

I'm trying to run this on the latest linux Mint 64-bit distro, but I'm very new to working in linux-land and find the experience to be very magical and don't always have a firm understanding of why things work they way they do or what they need to make certain things happen.

So, I downloaded the source code for OpenVibe, read the README and the INSTALL files. First things first, installed glu/glut, then cd scripts, ./linux-install_dependencies. Things were going fine, then I ran into an error with ZLIB_1.2.0. I've attached the pertinent log file.

I was hoping I could get some guidance on where to go from here, even some pointers as to what to do after this problem is overcome (other than 'cp linux-init_env_command-skeleton linux-init_env_command; ./linux-build').

I really appreciate it.

So, I'm new here and to linux.
Attachments
gettext.log.gz
Log of linux-install_dependencies where the error occured
(63.2 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

jlegeny

Re: linux mint <linux-install_dependencies> error (ZLIB_1.2.

Post by jlegeny »

Hello bdrockwell,

the issue comes from the fact that the script tries to compile the basic dependencies. What it should really do is to detect that Mint is de-facto Ubuntu and use its native package system.

I will do some testing and report back with a solution soon.

One thing you could try (as a quick and dirty fix) however is :

edit the file /etc/lsb-release as root
add a line
# Ubuntu
at the end of the file.

Save the file, delete the scripts/software folder in the openvibe folder and re-launch linux-install_dependencies. This should trick the installer to think that it is on Ubuntu.

Cheers
Jozef

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: linux mint <linux-install_dependencies> error (ZLIB_1.2.

Post by yrenard »

By the way, this post explains how the platform is detected and handled by the dependencies installation script :)

Hope this helps,
Regards
Yann