Requesting Guidance

Post by ramjeesaradi »

I am currently pursuing B.tech in Computer Science from India. I am
intrigued about the capabilities of your software OpenVibe and would
like to apply this amazing software to my final year project. I intend
to integrate the outputs of your software to an input/ access device
like mouse so as it could be controlled by the human gestures given as
input to the ElectroEncephalogram. I am short on guidance upon
performing this other half of my project.
I would be highly obliged to your gesture in guiding my project
through providing inputs on

#"How to integrate the output to access device"
#"Materials to study and build my base"
#"Suggestions on improvement"

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Requesting Guidance

Post by lbonnet »

Hi ramjeesaradi,

Thank you for your interest in OpenViBE !

We will gladly help you, on every technical question related to the use or modification of the software itself.
I intend to integrate the outputs of your software to an input/ access device like mouse so as it could be controlled by the human gestures given as input to the ElectroEncephalogram.
Real or imaginary movements of the hands or the feet can indeed be detected in the EEG. This is a very active topic in the research community, known as Motor Imagery paradigm.
You will find plenty of research articles on this subject (google scholar it for example).
#"How to integrate the output to access device"
OpenViBE can acquire the EEG signal, process it using the pipeline you built, and output commands. We usually use the VRPN protocol to communicate with external application, such as a video game or a device (some links: VRPN official website, openvibe tutorial on VRPN communication with 3D app, and several other topics on this forum).
#"Materials to study and build my base"
If you are completely new in the field of Brain-Computer interface, I suggest you take a look at the Future BNCI project, that is currently building a nice knowledge repository. Then when you're starting to have a more precise idea of what you want to achieve, try to find precise articles on the necessary signal processing of EEG.
The OpenViBE user documentation can help you understand how to build the signal processing pipeline in openvibe. Several Existing scenarios can also be used as a basis for your future work.

I hope it will help you !

Finally, I remind you that we are able to help you on any question or problem regarding the openvibe software, however we can't spend much time on explaining what is a BCI, or the signal processing methods you would try to use. I hope though that other members of the community will help you with that :)

Best regards, and welcome on board !

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

ramjeesaradi

Re: Requesting Guidance

Post by ramjeesaradi »

Thank you Very much Bonnet, That was indeed all that I need to get started.