Access to python plugin

lbotrel

Access to python plugin

Post by lbotrel »

Hello,
I've lately been in a bit of trouble to access the python3 scripting box.
I use Anaconda python and just wanted to detail my process to help fix the issues, since the documentation doest not clearly state the following:

To compile Openvibe3.0.0 and get access to python scripting, one MUST
  • have a python3 installation (64bit for 64bit openvibe) on both the compiling computer.
  • put the folder of python.exe in the PATH system variable (in my case C:\Anaconda\)
  • set the

Code: Select all

PYTHONHOME=C:\Anaconda\
    PYTHONPATH=C:\Anaconda\Lib
    environment variables as well !
  • Then just following the straightforward and easy steps to compile OpenVible from git.
  • Dont forget to set those paths on the computer you want to transfer OpenVibe to.
  • When you launch openvibe-designer.cmd, you''ll see whether the python plugin was correctly loaded or not:

[  INF  ] Added 1 plugin object descriptor(s) from ... openvibe-plugins-contrib-python3.dll
Despite all those conditions being filled, the openvibe release binaries (openvibe-3.0.0-64bit, downloaded 13Jan2021) do not give me access to the python plugin.

Using Python 3.7.4 (default, Aug  9 2019, 18:34:13) [MSC v.1915 64 bit (AMD64)]
I'd be glad if you had a hint to have it work with the release version instead of me squeezing my lucky charm each time I start building from sources :D

Thibaut

Re: Access to python plugin

Post by Thibaut »

HI,
What is your problem ? you haven't the box or the box doesn't work ?
when you launch OpenViBE Designer have you some warning or error message ?
Thibaut

m.casso-echalar

Post by m.casso-echalar »

Hello,
I am working with openvibe version 3.1 and had the following message on the prompt:

[WARNING] No 'plugin object descriptor' found from [C:/Users/Public/Documents/openvibe-3.1.0-64bit//bin/openvibe-plugins-contrib-python3.dll] even if it looked like a plugin module

[  INF  ] Added 0 plugin object descriptor(s) from [C:/Users/Public/Documents/openvibe-3.1.0-64bit//bin/openvibe-plugins-contrib-python3.dll]
I followed the instructions on http://openvibe.inria.fr/tutorial-using ... -openvibe/, and made sure I had the correct python version and paths.
On the page it is mentioned I could delete the python project DLL in the bin/ folder of OpenViBE (openvibe-plugins-python.dll) to solve the problem, but this plugin wasn't in the bin/ folder.
I tried removing the openvibe-plugins-contrib-python3.dll file from the bin/ folder, and even if the warning message is no longer in the prompt, the python box is still not available.

Do you know how could I solve this?
Thanks,
Isabel

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Isabel,

The website documentation is a bit misleading here. Its meaning is that if the python box stops the designer from loading properly, removing the openvibe-plugins-contrib-python3.dll will fix it, and the designer will be able to load properly.
But you actually removed the python box DLL, so it is normal that neither the warning nor the box appear anymore.

In order to get the box back, I suggest you to reinstall OpenViBE 3.1.0.

Have you added the python install to your Path environnement variable ? If not, then add it, and if another python 3 installation is also on your computer and also appears in the Path, make sure that the version 3.7.8 needed by OpenViBE appears first in the list.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on,
Thomas

m.casso-echalar

Post by m.casso-echalar »

Hello Thomas,

it worked!
If anyone else has a problem like this:
- with the python 3.7.8 installer I added python to the path environmental variable
- Then I reinstalled OpenViBE 3.1.0.

Now the python scripting box is available, runs correctly and I have no warnings in the prompt

Thank you so much for your help!
Isabel