Display a new box

Making & changing box plugins and external apps
dragouns

Display a new box

Post by dragouns »

Hello every one, 

I followed the tutorial (http://openvibe.inria.fr/tutorial-1-imp ... ssing-box/) to create a new box. I am using Openvibe 2.0.*

I  generated the 2 files (ovpCBoxAlgorithmSignalFlattener.cpp and ovpCBoxAlgorithmSignalFlattener.h) and I’ve added the include in the ovp_main.cpp and the OVP_Declare_New(OpenViBEPlugins::SignalProcessing::CBoxAlgorithmSignalFlattenerDesc) line. Then I’ve built it. But i don’t see the new box.

In the tutorial, they talk about « ticking the little box at the top of the box list », but this box is no longer available in OpenVibe 2.0.

I don’t know what to do at this point, can you please help me ? 

Thanks.

dragouns

Re: Display a new box

Post by dragouns »

Hello, 

I was following the tutorial (http://openvibe.inria.fr/tutorial-1-imp ... ssing-box/) to create a new box. As I said in my previous message, I am using OpenVibe 2.0.

Is this tutorial made also for OpenVibe 2.0 or only for OpenVibe 1.X ? 

I am still looking for a way to implement new boxes, if anyone can help, please.

Thanks

dragouns

Post by dragouns »

Any news ?

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi, sorry, didn't notice the original message. What system are you building on?

The first thing I'd check is if your thing is built/included at all. Very elementary is to have the folloming in the ovp_main.cpp

Code: Select all

OVP_Declare_Begin()
	printf("Hello I AM HERE!\n");
OVP_Declare_End()
If you don't have that hello when launching designer, your box won't be there either -- the dll has not been compiled or loaded.

Also, remember to launch Designer from under dist/extras/. If you use the VS IDE build, you need to build INSTALL target and the correct Designer to start is the one called "designer-extras" (should be at the bottom of the solution).

If you manage to solve your issue, can you let us know what was the solution?

ps. the 'show unstable' button is no longer used on OV2.x+.

Cheers,
Jussi

dragouns

Post by dragouns »

Hello, I'm running on Windows 10 with OpenVibe 2.0 and Visual Studio community 2013.
I followed all the steps you've listed bellow, and I still can't see the boxes in the designer...

Also, when I add the following lines :

OVP_Declare_Begin()
   printf("Hello I AM HERE!\n");
OVP_Declare_End()

Anythin appears...

Please, can you advise?

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi,

when you start Designer, it loads the .dll's containing boxes. These dlls should be in the bin/ directory. When a dll is loaded, different algorithms, boxes and types that the dll contains will be registered to the kernel by the directives in the main .cpp of the dll (that should also print the hello world if you put it there). A box can be missing if 1) the dll is not installed into the bin/ folder, 2) the algorithms/boxes/types are not compiled into the dll, or 3) the dll doesn't have the directives to register its items to the kernel. Usually the issue turns out to be one of these three.

You can use objdump, dumpbin or dependency walker (depending on your platform) to peek whats in a compiled dll (inspecting the source tree & cmakelists should tell you whats the dll you should look at).

Naturally for things to work, the compilation should fully pass and the required dependencies for the components the dll compilation needs, should be present at build time.

Hope this helps,
Jussi