Implementing an connectivity algorithm and plot the results

Making & changing box plugins and external apps
alex369

Implementing an connectivity algorithm and plot the results

Post by alex369 »

Hi,

I am a new user of OpenVibe, just start to use this environment for on-line brain connectivity analysis. However I have some problems of implementing my idea.
1, If I want to implement an algorithm in OpenVibe, is it possible to use external libraries such as some signal processing or mathematic related source files? Are there some rules I should follow?
2, After I get the connectivity pattern, I want to plot it on a new window just like the signal display. Can someone give me some suggestion of which source code files should I look for answer? Or give me some suggestion of where should I start to look into.

Regards
Wang Yubo

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Implementing an connectivity algorithm and plot the resu

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Wang Yubo, welcome on board!
1, If I want to implement an algorithm in OpenVibe, is it possible to use external libraries such as some signal processing or mathematic related source files? Are there some rules I should follow?
Several OpenViBE boxes already use some external dependencies to perform signal processing. For example you can directly use the it++ library (GPL License), as we include it with openvibe (e.g. in the project openvibe-plugins/signal-processing-gpl).

Openvibe being an open-source software there is always a way to add a new dependency and use another library for what you need, but it can be a little tricky as you would have to tell CMake where to find the new dependency. If you need to, you can take a look at how it has been done with Python in the latest SVN (a new project openvibe-plugins/python has been created, plus a file cmake-modules/FindThirdPartyPyhton.cmake to find the dependency, and the project has been included in the build scripts).

Finally, be aware that if you ever plan to propose your work as a contribution for the community (and we would be glade you do so !) it will be more complicated if we have to handle a new dependency (we must maintain cross platform compatibility).
2, After I get the connectivity pattern, I want to plot it on a new window just like the signal display. Can someone give me some suggestion of which source code files should I look for answer? Or give me some suggestion of where should I start to look into.
The signal display box may be able to directly print the result of your processing (maybe you will have to choose the right scale and stuff). However we know that this box has some limitations.
If you want to develop your own visualization box, I must warn you that the signal display box is very complex and quiet old (meaning we can't provide fast and clear support on the source code). However if you have some knowledge and experience of GTK developing a whole new box to plot data is reasonable.
Finally, openvibe is compatible with other scripting languages (Matlab, Python (beta version in the latest SVN)). I bet you can use some plotting function with it.
Matlab and Python boxes are quiet new in openvibe, we plan to improve the integration of these tools in near future.

Hope this helps!

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !