Python version and Python Scripting box

Making & changing box plugins and external apps
KJeffrey

Python version and Python Scripting box

Post by KJeffrey »

I managed to set the Python environment path but the Python Scripting Box did not appear. Instead, I got a Python folder.
How do I get the Python Scripting Box to appear?
Is Python 3.7.8 the only version that has been tested still?
Am I correct that we have to re-compile OpenViBE to use a different Python version?

-Jeff

Thomas

Re: Python version and Python Scripting box

Post by Thomas »

Hi Jeff,

When Python is detected correctly by OpenViBE, you should see a Python 3 scripting box in the Scripting folder of the Boxes list.

It's not supposed to be a Python folder in the list. Where do you see it exactly ?

I am fairly confident that OpenViBE will work with newer veresions of Python 3, but you are correct, in order to use a different version, you need to recompile OpenViBE against it.

Thomas

KJeffrey

Post by KJeffrey »

Thomas,

It shows up under Scripting as shown on the attached screen shot. I am guessing that it comes from the Python distribution we are using. It showed up after I added the Python location to the Windows path as instructed:

C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_qbz5n2kfra8p0

Maybe this is not the full path? I will be discussing this with Sebastian on Monday when he is available. He can probably figure it out.

-Jeff
PyBox 2023-09-22_14-01-56.png
PyBox 2023-09-22_14-01-56.png (8.37 KiB) Viewed 5366 times

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Jeff,

When you mentioned seeing a "Python folder", you meant the PyBox folder, right ?
This is another plugin offering several boxes.

The Python path you added to your environment Path seems to be for Python 3.11. However, as you mentioned in your previous message, Python 3.7.8 is needed for the Python Scripting box to show up, unless you recompile OpenViBE with a different version of Python.

Did you compile OpenViBE against Python 3.11 ?
  • If yes, as the box does not show up, I would be interested in looking at the build logs (from a fresh build).
  • If not, then OpenViBE is expecting Python 3.7.8 in order to bring up the Python Scripting box.
Could you share the logs from the console when launching OpenViBE ? There might be some complementary information there on the Python Scripting plugin.

Thank you,
Thomas

KJeffrey

Post by KJeffrey »

Thomas,

Yes, I meant PyBox, which showed up after adding Python 3.11 to the path.

I think I now understand it all. We have not recompiled yet, so that should fix the issue. I hope to get Sebastian here to recompile Tuesday.

-Jeff