Migration from libglade to gtk_builder

Tinkering with OpenViBE core: kernel/, modules/, toolkit/ etc
yrenard
Site Admin

Migration from libglade to gtk_builder

Post by yrenard »

Dear OpenViBE developers,

I have been working a couple of days on porting OpenViBE from using LibGlade to using GtkBuilder to handle its user interfaces. Indeed, LibGlade has been deprecated by the Gnome / GTK team and is no more distributed within precompiled packages on the Windows platform. GtkBuilder is the preferred candidate as a replacement and is actually part of GTK !

The port has been done on each "trunc" folder of the repository. It's now up to each developer to sync his branch with the "trunc" -or- to port his branch. Code based on LibGlade will not be included in later releases. It is of course strongly recommended to migrate to GtkBuilder. You can find a nice tutorial at http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stab ... ilder.html.

For Windows developers who have created branches in e.g the acquisition server or the designer, their will be some issues. Indeed, the GTK version that came with older versions of OpenViBE included LibGlade but did not include GtkBuilder yet. The GTK version that comes with the current version of OpenViBE now includes GTK builder but does not include LibGlade anymore. Thus you won't be able to compile code based on GtkBuilder and LibGlade at the same time. If you want to delay your LibGlade -> GtkBuilder migration, I suggest that you use the "Gtk+ 2.12.9 Development Environment Revision 2" archives at gladewin32 http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net. This bundle is far from up to date but it includes both GtkBuilder and LibGlade.

The transition should be very smooth for Linux users because all the targeted distributions include both GtkBuilder and LibGlade. Of course, I still recommended to migrate to GtkBuilder.

In case anyone wants to get his repository back before these changes, move back to revision 2299.

I realize that this has a strong impact on Windows developers but. The Gnome / GTK team clearly don't want to put some support on LibGlade.

Tell me if you have problems with this migration and I will do my best to help.

Kindest regards,
Yann Renard

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Migration from libglade to gtk_builder

Post by yrenard »

The following topic describes how to solve the could not find gtk/gtk.h error.