Detection of conscious eye blink

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
KeithSloan52

Detection of conscious eye blink

Post by KeithSloan52 »

Hi I have recently remade contact with an old school friend. Unfortunately he has advanced multiple sclerosis and has no real form of communication, his carer try's to judge which letter he is looking at on a printed alphabet sheet, but this does not seem to work very well.

He has nystagmus and wears an eye patch for up to 18 hours and has blurred vision. He also prefers to sit with his head bowed forwards.

They have in the past unsuccessfully tried eye tracking technology, although I would like to check if they tried a tobii system as these seem to be the best.

P300 speller looks interesting, but I get the impression from the forum that its only accurate about 80% of the time. Is that a fair assessment?

So I was wondering about the possibilities of detection of conscious blink with some EEG headband. ( My understanding is that you need a very fast camera to do blink detection with just a camera, so had ruled that out ). Does anybody have any experience of using OpenViBE to do this.

If one wants to try things where can I get an EEG headband etc. Cognionics products look good but they don't seem to have a vendor in the uk.

Thanks in anticipation,

caitlinvz

Re: Detection of conscious eye blink

Post by caitlinvz »

Keith,

I am looking at the same thing. Have you made any progress? The eye movement are very pronounced on the eeg, but I cannot find any OpenVibe block that just detects them. One option you may want to look at is the Emotiv software. The XavierControl Panel and the Emokey software togehter do a great job of detecting blinks/winks and translating them into key presses.

Sergio Vivar

Re: Detection of conscious eye blink

Post by Sergio Vivar »

Hi

I'm working with a Neurosky headset and I can tell you this is a good hardware to obtain eye blink because you dont need to analyze the raw signal, the driver gives you the blink strength:

you only have to build the interface that interacts with a speller. This headset costs about $100