Building a Neurofeedback Scenario

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
AvivSheriff

Building a Neurofeedback Scenario

Post by AvivSheriff »

Hello all,

I'm currently developing a neurofeedback script. I have some knowledge of MATLAB but I'm still trying to figure out if that's necessary for our paradigm, or if Openvibe alone is enough.

I have the following challenges at the moment:
1) I need to supply the participants with feedback for theta or beta (two conditions). In addition, in both the theta and beta feedback conditions, participants that show high beta (18-22~) should not receive positive feedback, as this range is associated with motor movements.
2) For our analysis, we are also calculating a theta/beta ratio for each participant's NFB session (to be saved for offline analysis). I'm unsure how to code this within Openvibe.
3) I am interested in outputting to two monitors. One for the participant's NFB and the second for the NFB operator in another room. The NFB operator should have control over the NFB threshold, i.e. participants usually improve in achieving a certain theta ratio - the operator needs to view the output which will indicate a certain % increase from the participant's baseline, and be able to increase the positive feedback threshold (i.e. from a 60% increase in theta from baseline to 70%, on a continuum).

Any help would be appreciated.

jtlindgren

Re: Building a Neurofeedback Scenario

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi, its definitely possible to do that with OpenViBE, but some programming might be needed, afaik
the openvibe labs haven't considered such an use case before.

For 1, you may need to implement some kind of visual gauge for the feedback and be able to threshold it.
For 2, you can maybe use Simple DSP to compute the ratio, once you have extracted the band powers in step 1.
For 3, you could try to use LSL to send information between the different computers.

Cheers,
Jussi

AvivSheriff

Re: Building a Neurofeedback Scenario

Post by AvivSheriff »

Thanks jtlindgren,
I'm making progress with your suggestions. I'll update with my scenarios soon.