Foot Motor Imagery

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
Aravind

Foot Motor Imagery

Post by Aravind »

Our team has been working on detecting foot motor imagery using OpenBCI as an acquisition h/w. We initially started with the neurofeedback and tiefighter scenarios, and also referred the post by Jeremy Frey
http://blog.jfrey.info/2015/03/03/openb ... r-imagery/

We have followed the brisk foot movement (dorsiflexion) when the subject was sitting in a chair recorded from electrode Cz, and have been able to detect the movement related ERS. While trying imagination, so far we haven't been able to successfully detect this activity. Kindly request someone to clarify on the imagination paradigm.

Also, when the feet are suspended in the air, the subject was asked to perform the same dorsiflexion movement, but this time, we are not able to detect the movement. So, the movement is detected only in the case where the subject's feet are placed on the floor, and a dorsiflexion(brisk tap of both feet on the floor) is performed.

Is it that the dorsiflexion and foot movement detection is to be performed only when the subject's feet are on the floor? Request someone to clarify these questions.

Thank You
Regards
Aravind R

jtlindgren

Re: Foot Motor Imagery

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi Aravind,

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but at least with dry electrodes I've noticed that if the subject interacts with the environment, we may get artifacts to the signal which are very easy to detect. The signal should be carefully looked at to make sure it doesn't contain artifacts from the tapping that the classifier might be reacting to.

From what I've read, detecting feet imagery from EEG can be more tricky than detecting hands due to the inconvenient way the cortex folds, but I haven't personally tried to detect feet imagery. Perhaps some expert can chime in here.

Best,
Jussi