Help built a scenario for Neurosky Brainwave

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
breakbitero

Help built a scenario for Neurosky Brainwave

Post by breakbitero »

Hello everybody!.
I am academic researcher in marketing. I bought a Brainwave from Neurosky. But I have not idea about programming. I tried to built a scenario to do an experiment. Actually I can not. I would like to collaborate with somebody to help me in this way.
I would like to design a scenario to show images an record in csv the data (include attention). It is necessary to record when the images were showed. I tried to modify some existing scenario. No win.
Can somebody help me?. I really appreciate it. Maybe we can collaborate.

Thank you very much.

Katie356

Re: Help built a scenario for Neurosky Brainwave

Post by Katie356 »

Hi breakbitero

I'm having a similar problem trying to record the raw EEG readings to a csv file.

In the OpenVibe Designer, displaying the EEG works great:

[Acquisition client]------->[Signal display]

But when I replace the “Signal display” box with “CSV File Writer”, nothing happens

[Acquisition client]------->[CSV File Writer]

And I set the configuration for the [CSV File Writer]
to c:\hello.csv

After I run this, there is no c:\hello.csv file.

OpenVibe has a help section on the csv writer, but unfortunately I'm just not understanding enough to get it to actually work.

http://openvibe.inria.fr/documentation/ ... riter.html

I'm hoping someone here could kindly point out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help!

Katie

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi Katie, on Windows 7 you may not be allowed to write directly to C:\. Try writing the file to some subdirectory where you have write access.

For some reason there is no appropriate error message (the related fopen() call does not appear to return NULL).

Best,
Jussi

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

I realize that this is additionally an issue with how backslashes \ are currently handled in OpenViBE: In all OpenViBE paths, its advisable to use the Linux style forward slash /. This is because backslash is an escape character in OpenViBE. Using forward slash should still work on Windows. Just replace backslash with slash, i.e. try "C:/hello.csv".

Cheers,
Jussi

Katie356

Post by Katie356 »

Hi Jussi

Thank you for your help (merci beaucoup!) I did as you suggested, and lo and behold the hello.cvs was created.

Unfortunately the new file is empty. Looking at the console message, every line was a green
[ INF ], but there were 4 lines that were red [ WARNING ].

The first one said:

[ WARNING ] at time 0.125 sec <box algorithm... aka acquisition client> Could not receive memory buffer size.

[ WARNING ] box algorithm <acquisition client> has been deactivated because processes <> function has been deactivated.

[ WARNING ] at time 0.063 sec <box algorithm... aka acquisition client> Could not receive memory buffer size.

[ WARNING ] box algorithm <acquisition client> has been deactivated because processes <> function has been deactivated.

S<> function returned error

(Also, I was running Neurosky's Thinkgear connector in the background.)

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong would be most appreciated!

Katie

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

One way to get that error is to have Acquisition Server running, 'connected' to the driver but not 'playing'. The server needs to be in 'play' state before Designer can connect to it successfully. You may have one acquisition server in the background, connected, not playing and somehow not visible.

Try killing all openvibe related processes (e.g. from Windows task manager), and try again. As a first test step, I'd use 'Generic Oscillator' driver in Acquisition Server and 'network-acquisition.xml' in Designer. If you get the signal plotted using the two, the connection between the server and client is essetially working. After that, I'd replace the driver with the neurosky one and the display with the CSV writer.

Happy hacking,
Jussi

Katie356

Post by Katie356 »

Hi Jussi

Now it works perfectly, thanks to your suggestions!!

This is a great first step, looking forward to delving in
and learning more.

Katie