day 1: which headset to start experimenting?

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
alessiof

day 1: which headset to start experimenting?

Post by alessiof »

Hi all,

I would like to try openvibe, it can become (I hope so!) the subject of my thesis.

I'm very low on budget, which headset would you recommend for a task like, for instance, detecting a P300?

Epoch seems fine, but what about all the different editions? Will the $299.00 headset, with no developer tools, work fine?

Thank you very much for any answer you can give me!

Alessiof, Florence Italy

ddvlamin

Re: day 1: which headset to start experimenting?

Post by ddvlamin »

Hi,

For a low budget the Emotiv EPOC seems a good choice. I've heard that people are able to do P300 experiments with it, although I don't have personal experience with it, but maybe somebody else can share their personal experience with the set.

As far as I understood the discussion on this forum, it seems you will need the more expensive Emotiv Research SDK

Here you can find the supported hardware, most are medical certified and quite expensive.

This systems also seems quite cheap, but at this point it is not supported by OpenViBE. I don't know if there is still somebody working on the driver for this as I made a similar post in the past

Best regards,
Dieter

alessiof

Post by alessiof »

I'm going to answer a part of my question myself:

"We provide an acquisition driver for the Emotiv EPOC headset, with some constraints: You must have the Emotiv Research SDK installed on your computer".

750,00$ then, or maybe another headset?

Thank you for any advice!

alessiof

Post by alessiof »

ddvlamin wrote:Hi,

For a low budget the Emotiv EPOC seems a good choice. I've heard that people are able to do P300 experiments with it, although I don't have personal experience with it, but maybe somebody else can share their personal experience with the set.
Tnx ... in the end I think I will go with the EPOCH, my intent is to demonstrate that some research can be done with low cost interfaces, although 750$ is not exactly low, still it's very few compared to "med grad" interfaces, I guess. I'm an adult student in neuropsychology, computer technician by day: BCI are perfect for my thesis, and maybe, just maybe, I can learn something good for work also!

ps

You do research with Openvibe?

ddvlamin

Post by ddvlamin »

Well, to my knowledge the cheapest ones on that list, are Neurosky, Emotiv and the OpenEEG hardware. The Neurosky version only has one electrode in the front and some in those ear pads (I think?) which are probably insufficient for P300 or SSVEP. The OpenEEG could work, but you are also limited to a maximum of four electrodes (I guess), which you could stick anywhere. The Emotiv seems the most complete one in that respect and I have played a four class SSVEP-based game (made by my colleagues at Leuven University) with the Emotiv which worked fine, so it does work and records EEG signals, the only downside is that you don't have many (or none at all) electrodes at the center, e.g. Cz position.
You do research with Openvibe?
I indeed use OpenViBE for research in conjunction with a TMSI/ANT device mainly because OpenViBE is relatively easy to extend after you have spent a week or two/three to find your way in the code.
to demonstrate that some research can be done with low cost interfaces
in that respect it would also be nice to demonstrate if it is possible to do P300, motor-imagery or SSVEP with the OpenEEG hardware as I have not yet heard stories about that. But the EPOC is probably the safest bet.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear Dieter, dear Alessiof,

OpenEEG is actually up to 6 channels. It is cheap as well but this is a do it yourself device ; you'll need basic skills in electronic montage to set this up, or you can buy pre-built cards from Olimex. Still, there will be no case for the cards and you'll have to build the electrodes. If you want to know more about OpenEEG and how it performs for neurofeedback & BCI, I suggest you monitor the OpenEEG mailing list which has valuable information.

Hope this helps,
Yann