which BCI sample scenarios could be run using EMOTIV device?

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
hatma

which BCI sample scenarios could be run using EMOTIV device?

Post by hatma »

Dear all..

Openvibe provide 9 BCI sample scenarios (handball, motor-imagery, motor-imagery-CSP, neurofeedback, p300-magic-card, p300-speller, p300-speller-xDAWN, ssvep, tie-fighter).

I was wondering, which one could be run using EMOTIV device?

I am planning to buy EMOTIV EEG to be able to study BCI using OpenVibe.

best regards
hatma

fabien.lotte

Re: which BCI sample scenarios could be run using EMOTIV dev

Post by fabien.lotte »

Dear Hatma,

Basically Emotiv is not suitable to do motor imagery experiments, since it does not have any channels over the motor areas of the brain. So most likely it won't work for the handball, motor-imagery, motor-imagery-CSP and tie-fighter scenarios. However with Emotiv you have the necessary electrodes to do SSVEP, so you can use the ssvep scenario. Emotiv also has some of the electrodes to detect P300 but some important ones are also missing. So you can use the p300-magic-card, p300-speller, p300-speller-xDAWN, but you will have reduced performances.

Best,
Fabien

sumitsoman

Post by sumitsoman »

Is it possible to provide details as to which electrodes are suitable for each of these scenarios, with reference to the standard 10-20 system of electrode placement for recording EEG?

fabien.lotte

Post by fabien.lotte »

handball, motor-imagery, motor-imagery-CSP: you'll need at least channels C3 and C4, and it will be much better with the surrounding ones, e.g., CP3, CP4, C6, C2, C5, C1, FC3, FC4

tie-fighter: you can do with either C3 (right hand MI), Cz (foot MI) or C4 (left MI). With surrounding electrodes it will be even better (to do Laplacian filtering), i.e., FC3, CP3, C5, C1 for C3 ; FCz C1, C2, CPz for Cz and FC4, CP4, C6, C2 for C4.

ssvep scenario: channels O1, Oz, O2 and maybe a few more around

p300-magic-card, p300-speller, p300-speller-xDAWN: a nice set would be something like Cz, CPz, Pz, Oz, O1, O2, PO7, PO8, but it would work with only a few of them, with reduced performances.

I hope this helps,

Fabien