Information on P300 speller GUI

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
janet_angel

Information on P300 speller GUI

Post by janet_angel »

Hi guys,

i have some concerns in regarding to OpenVibe;

I am hoping to create a replica of your P300 speller GUI using flash, which runs independently - (not connected to a PC that is installed with OpenVibe) . The Flash GUI (P300 speller GUI), will be running on a different PC (independently). There will be another PC in our Lab that will be installed with OpenVibe, so is it possible for a person who is connected to an EEG, to look at the P300 GUI that is creted in Flash (installed in a different PC), and send signals to the other PC that is installed with openVibe

basically what i need to know is the role of the P300 GUI used in OpenVibe? is it only used to generate the P300 brain wave and display the text or is there any thing more than this? and can we replace Your p300 GUI with our own GUI as i mentioned above?

i also have another question which is not connected to my previous question. Is the neurosky mindset tested and proved working with Openvibe? (The documentation says so yet i would be great if you could share your thoughts on this)

smilies

angel_

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Information on P300 speller GUI

Post by yrenard »

Dear janet_angel,

thank you for your interest in our work and welcome on this forum.

I think you need to dig more information about what P300 is and how it can be detected (look at Donchin et al' articles). You will then understand that it should actually be possible to have a flashing application outside of OpenViBE but that it involves a lot of synchronization to achieve correct detection. You will most likely not achieve those requirements with Flash ;)

As regarding to the Neurosky Mindset, it is actually supported in OpenViBE, meaning that you can acquire the raw signals and process them for whatever purpose you want. By the way if you plan to detect the P300 with a neurosky headset, just stop now and dig more information about P300.

I hope this helps,
Yann

janet_angel

Post by janet_angel »

Thank you for your reply. much appreciated

Neurosky mindset the electrode is position at FP1, therefore a P300 can't be gained from that loation. Is there any other controls where we could gain with the electrode position at FP1. i basically need 3 to 4 controls identified. (a P300 could posibly do this, but not with 1 elecrode) Do you have any experience in doing so, please share your thoughts.

Another Quick question;

Can we recognise an Eye Blink with the neurosky mindset? Since it is positioned at the ideal position FP1. Have ou guys identified this?

fabien.lotte

Post by fabien.lotte »

Hi Janet,

Actually, obtaining 3 to 4 commands with an EEG-based BCI is a rather tricky task, and it is even more tricky when using a single electrode. However it may not be impossible, and some recent research results obtained by NeuroSky suggest that this is possible using SSVEP (Steady State Visual Evoked Potentials). You can read this paper for more details: "A user-friendly SSVEP-based brain–computer interface using a time-domain classifier, Journal of Neural Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 2. (01 April 2010), 026010. by An Luo, Thomas J. Sullivan.". To do so you need to use a EEG sensor at location O1 or O2 (visual areas), which you cannot do with the Neurosky MindSet (although you can physically put the sensor there, it is not designed to be used through hair). Unfortunately, the dry EEG sensor that Neurosky used in the paper above is not yet commercially available. But you should be able to achieve similar or probably better results using a standard wet EEG device.

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Janet_angel
Can we recognise an Eye Blink with the neurosky mindset? Since it is positioned at the ideal position FP1. Have ou guys identified this?
Indeed eye blinks are visible on the raw EEG, and can be easily detected I suppose.
The latest version of the Neurosky SDK provides eye blink detection. I didn't investigate this new SDK so I'm afraid the Neurosky driver won't be updated soon.

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

fah

Post by fah »

Hi guys,

I am interested in the keyboard p300. I'd like to know in which file you create the keyboard p300 speller. Especially the statements of 26 letters ABC...?

Thank you for your reply!

fah

Post by fah »

Hi,

thank you I found in fact you are using Glade and GtkBuilder. but now my problem is I can't find the xml file corresponding to: (m_sInterfaceFilename.toASCIIString ()).

thank you for your reply!

Fah

jamesLocal

Post by jamesLocal »

Especially the statements of 26 letters ABC...?
../share/openvibe-plugins/simple-visualisation/p300-speller.ui