Basic questions on openvibe

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
jamesLocal

Basic questions on openvibe

Post by jamesLocal »

I got a few questions here;

1.) Where could i download the data Acquisition tutorials?
2.) I went through a video tutorial on openVibe, it shows how to read left and right movement recognition, are there any tutorials that could demonstrate up and down movement recognition ?
3.) Most of the tutorials are discussed by loading an sample gdk file as the signal input, but we need to get real time signals to process a thought, can you tell me a link to a tutorial that demonstrates that?

I have attached a file that would demonstrate the file list of the openvibe version that i downloaded, can anyone tell me if it contains all the necessary files, to carry out work.
Attachments
Checkthisout.rar
I have attached a file that would demonstrate the file list of the openvibe version that i downloaded, can anyone tell me if it contains all the necessary files, to carry out work.
(40.07 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Basic questions on openvibe

Post by lbonnet »

Hello,
1.) Where could i download the data Acquisition tutorials?
If you are asking how you can use openvibe to acquire the signal, you can look at the box-tutorial of the Acquisition Client box. Box tutorials can be found in share/openvibe-
2.) I went through a video tutorial on openVibe, it shows how to read left and right movement recognition, are there any tutorials that could demonstrate up and down movement recognition ?
We used for this video a motor-imagery paradigm for hands movements (right and left hands). We used these 2 mental commands to move the ball right and left. Of course, you can use these 2 commands to move something up and down.
3.) Most of the tutorials are discussed by loading an sample gdk file as the signal input, but we need to get real time signals to process a thought, can you tell me a link to a tutorial that demonstrates that?
For tutorial purpose, reading data files is much more easier and faster. But of course a BCI is designed for real time application. For that purpose, you can use the Acquisition Server application, that is relatively simple if you have the openvibe driver for your EEG device : connect the device then read the data. The properties panel allows you to choose some parameters for your device (sampling frequency, channels count and names, etc.).
On the Designer side, add an acquisition client box to read the data from the server.

The "hardware" procedure to acquire signal is hardly dependent on the acquisition device you are using, so please refer to your device manual about how to setup the amplifiers and electrodes.

In my opinion, your questions shows that you need more preparation before starting to build a BCI.
I suggest you start your work by readings more documentation about Brain Computer Interface in general, and in the case of question #2, about motor-imagery paradigm. In general, BCIs are not simple and requires studies before starting building one. Our vocation is not to help people with these studies, but you will find on the future-bnci website a very nice database to start with. You can then come back to us when you need more information and advices about the use of the OpenViBE software.

Hope this helps,

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !