Help Beginner question

Working with OpenViBE signal processing scenarios and doing scenario/BCI design
jamesLocal

Help Beginner question

Post by jamesLocal »

I am new to openVibe, so i would need your help here. This might sound like a dumb question, but i'm helpless. so here it goes..

01.) According to what i have heard OpenViBE is just a software, and it has nothing to do with the hardware it self (EEG machine) ?

02.) So, the OpenVIBE software can be read by any EEG machine ?

03.) I need to create a simple BCI application, for example i need to read some data (the values) that was received from the electrodes from the OpenVIBE application, so is there any step by step sample program that i can follow.

I am an absolute beginner to this, so please kindly help me out...

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Help Beginner question

Post by yrenard »

Dear jamesLocal,

thank you very much for your interest in our software and welcome on this board,
jamesLocal wrote:01.) According to what i have heard OpenViBE is just a software, and it has nothing to do with the hardware it self (EEG machine) ?
I won't say nothing to do, indeed, OpenViBE is almost useless without hardware. But there is some hardware abstraction layer included that makes it able to use different models of EEG machines.
jamesLocal wrote:02.) So, the OpenVIBE software can be read by any EEG machine ?
Do you mean is OpenViBE able to send information to our brain ? We have never tried that so there is nothing in OpenViBE ready to do it. On the technical point of view, there is no reason why this could not be implemented if needed.

If you meant "is OpenViBE able to read from any EEG machine", then the answer is again yes and no at the same time. Some devices are already included, others may be included in the future. You can find a list of supported devices in the FAQ. If your device is not in this list and you have C++ knowledge, you can write your own driver following the dedicated tutorial
jamesLocal wrote:03.) I need to create a simple BCI application, for example i need to read some data (the values) that was received from the electrodes from the OpenVIBE application, so is there any step by step sample program that i can follow.
You should probably start with the online video tutorial and the included sample scenarios (you'll find them in share/openvibe-scenarios in the install folder)
jamesLocal wrote:I am an absolute beginner to this, so please kindly help me out...
If you're an absolute beginner, you should also probably get some scientific background about EEG, BCI etc. You can find good materials at http://future-bnci.org

Tell me if that helps,
Yann

jamesLocal

Post by jamesLocal »

Well i started doing the examples as described in the video tutorial you gave before, but in the video they load some files from a folder called "OpenVibe-tutorial" (in video 28:10 min), where can i download this folder ?

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi JamesLocal !

You can find these scenarios and more "tutorial" scenarios in share/openvibe-scenarios/box-tutorials
These samples scenarios show how to use the most common boxes. This is a work-in-progress so more scenarios are coming, with comments.

Regards

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

jamesLocal

Post by jamesLocal »

x