Emotiv EPOC driver status

Making & changing hardware drivers in Acquisition Server
yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Emotiv EPOC driver status

Post by yrenard »

Dear Cent,

do you possibly move around with the device or loose connection somehow ?

Yann

Cent

Post by Cent »

No, I use the control panel to see if the connection is good and never loose connection.
I'm still while usign the headset.

Thx for your help Yann.

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hello Cent !
No, I use the control panel to see if the connection is good and never loose connection.
I'm still while usign the headset.
I don't know if it's the problem but as I previously stated, you cannot use both the Emotiv Control Panel and the OpenViBE driver at the same time (they both take exclusive control on the headset If I remember well).

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

Cent

Post by Cent »

I will try this, but yesterday try again reinstalling all and I can observe that with the P300 scenarios run well. The problem is in SSVEP scenarios only.

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

Dear Cent,

the SSVEP scenarios use the electrode positions which are not on the Emotiv Epoc. In ordes to use them with this headset you will have to modify the scenarios - the channel selectors and the spatial filters.

Cent

Post by Cent »

In acquisition test, I can see signal for a moment in O1 and O2, after a while I can´t see anything.
Without changing anything, I should see O1 and O2 signal always.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

What about if you use a sample scenario such as box-tutorials/network-acquisition.xml ?

Yann

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Dear Cent (and everyone having the problems with the emotiv driver),

I recently discussed on our IRC channel (#openvibe) with someone having the same problem, i.e. installation working good but very high level signal on every channels at use.
At the mean time I installed a fresh openvibe from SVN on a brand new windows 7, installed the emotiv SDK, and built openvibe. Everything is working perfectly as expected (the headset itself is brand new, out of the box EPOC).

A major difference between these two installations was the SDK version
  • mine : Emotiv Development Kit_v1.0.0.3-PREMIUM
  • his : Emotiv Development Kit_v1.0.0.4-PREMIUM
So please tell me what is the version of your SDK (*.3 or *.4). If everyone having this problem is working on a *.4 sdk, I will definitely need to update the driver, and see if it fixes everything.

Cheers

Laurent-

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Rapten is having the same problem as you do.
Here is his latest post and my answer.

I centralize everything here to be as efficient as possible. If anyone else is reporting the same behaviour, please tell us here.

Laurent

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Rapten wrote:Hi,
I got the driver listed and tried connecting the device as well.
the connection gets established along with a warning about the drift being too high. The settings are as follows:
settings.JPG
settings.JPG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 212824 times
The main concern is that no data is displayed, even in a simple scenario like this:
design.JPG
design.JPG (6.95 KiB) Viewed 212824 times
I'm also not sure about the acquisition server hostname, do we need to change it ?

And the screen displays this:
display.JPG
display.JPG (241.54 KiB) Viewed 212824 times

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

lbonnet wrote:Hello Rapten !

Your scenario is good as the signal display is actually displaying something.
If the connection between acquisition server and client is wrong, the signal display is just blank.
The Acquisition server is detecting a high drift and corrects the signal automatically. This is normal as the Emotiv EPOC is sampled at 128Hz, and default drift correction occurs at 2ms (i.e. 1 sample is enough). Change the drift tolerance to 10 ms, it's a relevant setting value for that device.

You are indeed acquiring signal. The headset is just sending constant, and I assume High level values on all channels.

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

I found a way to test with the emotiv SDK *.4 version.

... and it works exactly the same than *.3 on my side. Meanings I have clear signal on all channels.
It's very frustrating as I can't even reproduce this behavior to help you :s

@Nathali : and I see in your previous posts on the control panel screenshot that you also use *.3 version, so the problem is definitely not related to the SDK version.

Maybe we are not looking at the right direction...
Are you all 100% sure that the device is working ?
It's quiet easy to test... in the control panel you can do several things that should work. The Expressiv suite for example is using the EPOC sensors for muscular activity detection.
If you cannot make it work in anyway, the headset is maybe the source of your problems...

Please let me know if you have fresh news !

Laurent-

brainz

Post by brainz »

Hello!

I have the same problem as Rapten. I have found out that when I write data from the acquisition client using the CSV file writer I get -1.#IND values. Problem persists after I disconnect the acquisition server and turn off a scenario and turn it on again. However, when I switch off and on the headset and restart both server and designer it works for a while, but then again after some time -1.#IND values show up.

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi brainz and welcome on board !

Indeed you seem to have exactly the same behavior as others here...
I am very sorry but I don't manage to reproduce this bug with any headset/os/computer/openvibe versions.
Something though can be very helpful : are you sure that the device works with the Emotiv software ?
It's quiet easy to test... in the control panel you can do several things that should work. The Expressiv suite for example is using the EPOC sensors for muscular activity detection.
If you cannot make it work in anyway, the headset is maybe the source of your problems...
Please let me know, brainz, rapten or nathali. Someone :)

Laurent-

brainz

Post by brainz »

Hi Laurent!

Thank you for your time. The headset works with the Emotiv software. No problems with the Expressiv suite. Is it normal to get warnings during compilation about conversion from double to float and possible data loss?