player controller box: PLAY does not resume after PAUSE

Concerning processing components: filters, file load/save, visualizations, communication ...
barten6

player controller box: PLAY does not resume after PAUSE

Post by barten6 »

Hi,
I'm trying to pause and to resume playing Scenarios from a generic reader by 2 player controller boxes (primitive test-Scenario attached).
However, a PLAY-Stimulation has no effect after a STOP or a PAUSE-Stimulation.
what can be the reason for this?
rds in advance
Peter
Attachments
StartStop.xml
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

jtlindgren

Re: player controller box: PLAY does not resume after PAUSE

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi barten,

its a bit like a C-cassette in a Sony Walkman (no endorsement intended). Imagine that the Walkman is playing instructions from the tape. First instruction says Pause or Stop, so the robot listening to the headphones does that, and stops the motor of the Walkman. Then the robot is very happy, because it can relax as there will never be next command from the tape: the tape no longer moves.The next commands, whatever they would have been, are never heard by the robot. The only option to get the blissful robot working again is for someone else press the Play (or Pause) button in the Walkman physically (imagine corresponding buttons in Designer).

Hope this helps,
Jussi

barten6

Post by barten6 »

tks, Jussi. I had suspected such a thing, but hoped, that fhe player controller box PLAY finds a way around to wake the poor robot up....
as this is not the case, how would you suggest to telecontrol recording /playing a scenario (i.e. not sitting at the PC) ? input of a keystroke sent by a kbd-emulator would be a good option...
best rds
Peter

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

It depends what you want to do -- but this is one use case that hasn't been considered much in the past I suppose. One option would be to use the Stream Switch to redirect input to nowhere (unconnected output socket) in case its 'paused' and otherwise to where it should go. Usually, input-based downstream boxes do nothing when there is no input.

Happy hacking,
Jussi

barten6

Post by barten6 »

...so you are saying that e.g. the generic stream writer box stops recording when its input is idle and resumes as soon as signals appear again...? that would be a great solution!
is there a minimum time for the input's idle state to pause recording..?
rds
peter