How to configure "Run Command" to send data to serial port?

Concerning processing components: filters, file load/save, visualizations, communication ...
nabaraj

How to configure "Run Command" to send data to serial port?

Post by nabaraj »

Dear OpenVibe Users,

I am a novice user of openvibe particularly interested in doing experiment with P300 scenario.
I use Emotiv Epoc Headset to record EEg in its TestBench tool.
However, I want to use openvibe P300 speller as the stimulator and send the marker to the TestBench tool somehow and record EEG in TestBench tool.
I got a hint that, it can be done through the "Run Command" in Stimulator and using the null modem emulator.
But, I am struggling a lot to configure the "Run Command" box to send marker data to the serial port.
If anyone could help me to configure the box or direct me some material for this, I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Nabaraj Dahal.
University of South Australia

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: How to configure "Run Command" to send data to serial p

Post by lbonnet »

Hello Nabaraj Dahal and welcome on board!

The "hard" way could be to add settings in the run command, one stim-command pair per stimulation used by the P300 speller (right click, add setting).
Then you map each stimulation with the corresponding command (calling the 'null modem emulator' you are mentioning).
This can be a bit long, there is many stimulation in the P300 Speller (one per column, one per rox; Target, NonTarget; Start and Stop of session.)
However this solution will result in my opinion in poor timing accuracy.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you can use the Lua Box for that purpose. Lua is an easy scripting language, I bet there is a way to ask for some system call or command. And you can access the stimulation date and act consequently.

I must warn you though... For accurate P300 detection, timing is really important. You need to tag your signal precisely.
In OpenViBE time is simulated. OpenViBE will give you the date of the stimulations used as flash trigger, but I guess you will have to synchronize your 2 streams somehow.
This task is not trivial... Many P300 speller systems use parallel port tagging directly with the EEG amplifier for accurate timing; using different softwares for every step means you have to synchronize everything : theoretically the stimulation must tag your signal on the EEG sample acquired at the time of the flash on screen.

I hope this helps

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !