Delay play sound until sound is actually played

Concerning processing components: filters, file load/save, visualizations, communication ...
Stephi

Delay play sound until sound is actually played

Post by Stephi »

Hi there,

I'm currently setting up a scenario involving auditory stimulation with the "Play Sound" box. Since timing of the played sounds matters in our research, the delay between when the sound output trigger is sent until the sound is actually played should be as short as possible. We tested this delay and found it to be consistently 0.12 seconds.

Is there a way to reduce this delay to a minimum (e.g. hardware requirements of the computer/laptop like sound cards etc.)?

Big thanks in advance!
Stephanie

Thibaut

Re: Delay play sound until sound is actually played

Post by Thibaut »

hello, how do you find this delay? I could try and say if he is identical. I have never tried to measure it. But the delay can come from the method to play a sound in OpenViBE that uses OpenAL. Behind the execution of dnas openvibe, OpenAL or the sound card I do not know which causes the delay.
Thibaut

Stephi

Post by Stephi »

Thibaut wrote:hello, how do you find this delay? I could try and say if he is identical. I have never tried to measure it. But the delay can come from the method to play a sound in OpenViBE that uses OpenAL. Behind the execution of dnas openvibe, OpenAL or the sound card I do not know which causes the delay.
Thibaut
We used the output of the Sound player as an input of one channel of the amplifier. In the designer, we generated a stimulation signal with the Clock stimulation box and then merged the stimulation stream and the stream of the acquisition client together to measure the delay between when the stimulation trigger was sent and when there was an increase in the Sound signal.

Thibaut

Post by Thibaut »

I'm not sure to understand can you send me a minimal scenario ?

Stephi

Post by Stephi »

I just attached an easy scenario. Basically, the acquisition client then records the output sound of the computer. By comparing the timing of the trigger and the sound afterwards, we were able to figure out the delay.
Does this help you to understand what we did?
Attachments
SoundDelay.PNG
SoundDelay.PNG (5.54 KiB) Viewed 8020 times