Mindwave

Ask for a new OpenViBE feature.
Fabrice

Mindwave

Post by Fabrice »

Hello,

Will the Neurosky Mindwave be soon available on the acquisition server ? There is probably not a lot of difference with Mindset, it's probably quite easy to adapt. It would be very nice!

Your application is great, i hope i can use it soon for my personnal research (i'm philosophy teacher).

Thanks

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Mindwave

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Fabrice, and thanks for your interest with openvibe !

I think there is no difference between the Mindwave and the Mindset, on the "software" point of view.
According to the Neurosky web page about the Developer Tools (the SDK used for the openvibe mindset driver) :
Create and publish your own games and applications for use with NeuroSky’s MindSet and MindWave.
So I guess the OpenViBE Neurosky mindset driver in the acquisition server is compatible directly with the Mindwave.

If you find any problem using so, please tell us. Maybe the driver requires a slight update.

Cheers
Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

darkshad

Post by darkshad »

I bought a Neurosky Mindwave a few weeks ago and tried to connect it to the OpenViBE acquisition server using the Neurosky Mindset driver and couldn't get it to work. Here is the error message I got:

m 98\EEG_Settings is not initialized
[ INF ] Connecting to device [NeuroSky MindSet (MindSet Dev. Kit 2.1+)]...
[ INF ] ThinkGear DLL version: 21
[ INF ] Eye blink detection is possible.
[ INF ] ThinkGear Communication ID is: 0.
[ INF ] Scanning COM ports 1 to 16...
[ INF ] Connection available on port COM4 -- STATUS: FAILED (0 bytes on the st
ream)
[ ERROR ] The driver was unable to find any valid device on serial port COM1 to
COM16.
[ ERROR ] Connection failed...
[ INF ] Disconnecting.

I believe the Mindwave is on COM4, but as you can see, it looks like the Mindset driver failed....probably need a new driver to get the Mindwave to work.

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Thanks for the feedback Jason !

This error message:

Code: Select all

[ INF ] Connection available on port COM4 -- STATUS: FAILED (0 bytes on the stream)
generally pops out every time I use a MindSet. It means some connection is available on a COM port but nothing is connected.
But it does not necessary means that your device is connected on it.

I don't have a MindWave so I cannot check it, but if the installation procedure is the same as the MindSet, you have to specify at some point which COM port you want to use for your device. The driver scans for device on COM port 1 to 16 (as the official documentation I had with my mindset stated you have to use the lowest COM port available when installing the device - I don't know why).

On which port is your device connected through bluetooth ?

L

darkshad

Post by darkshad »

I did a uninstall and re-install of the Neurosky software to see if it would give me the option to change my COM port during installation...it didn't give me the option, so I ended up changing it in Windows thorugh the Control Panel-->System-->Device Manger-->Ports (COM and LPT) - the Mindwave USB connector was listed in COM4, soI changed it to COM1.

So, now tried Openvibe again...

[WARNING] Registery key Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Brain Quick - Syste
m 98\EEG_Settings is not initialized
[ INF ] ThinkGear Connection ID is: 0.
[ INF ] Connection available on port COM1 -- STATUS: FAIL (0 bytes on the stre
am)
COM16.
[ INF ] Connecting to device [NeuroSky MindSet (MindSet Dev. Kit 2.1+)]...
[ INF ] ThinkGear DLL version: 21
[ INF ] Eye blink detection is possible.
[ INF ] ThinkGear Communication ID is: 0.
[ INF ] Connection available on port COM1 -- STATUS: FAILED (0 bytes on the st
ream)
COM16.
[ ERROR ] Connection failed...
[ INF ] Disconnecting.

As you can see, it saw the Mindwave on COM1.

You mention something about bluetooth, but the Mindwave doesn't use bluetooth...it uses a RF connection, so that's why I don't think the MindSet driver will work with MindWave, unless some changes are made to the driver.

Here's a document from Neurosky which talks about the differences....

http://support.neurosky.com/kb/general- ... -and-xwave

Thanks for your response. Letme know if there's anything else I can do to help you out to try to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Jason,

Sorry for my mistake then... There is indeed a "hardware" difference between the two devices.
From the link you provided i can see that :
Any applications you develop for the MindWave will work with the MindSet, and vice versa. Both the MindSet and the MindWave use identical communication protocols. Therefore, all applications, and the Development Tools, work with the both devices.
So I guess the very same functions in the SDK (Dev Tools) let me access both devices.
I really don't know how I can change the driver as there is theorically nothing to change at all...
The error you get:

Code: Select all

[ INF ] Connection available on port COM1 -- STATUS: FAILED (0 bytes on the stream)
means that the driver found a connection opened on COM port 1, but when it tries to read a packet of data from that port nothing comes in.

Without the device itself I cant do much in fact. I can try to borrow or buy one; but it may take a while...
Thanks for your efforts ! If I find a new idea I'll let you know, maybe you can help.

Laurent

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Jason,

The problem you are experiencing is confirmed by another user. I paste here my last answer.
Hi Chaithnyan,

Thanks for the feedback !

This problem cannot be solved easily right now simply because I don't have a MindWave to test the driver and correct it.
If you have some C++ knowledge and spare time to do the job, I can provide you support :)

I have to mark this driver as incompatible with the MindWave in the documentation, to warn future users. I hope this is temporary, until someone from the community produce a patch or I manage to get a Mindwave...

Laurent
I'm sorry I can't do much more. The driver implementation is quiet simple and straightforward. I don't see where the problem could come from...

L-

mmarchesi

Post by mmarchesi »

Hi there,
I hope I found a solution for the Mindwave compatibility issue.
The problem is not the OpenVibe driver, I checked the source code, it's clean and it would work perfectly with any ThinkGear-based device on 1-16 COM ports.
I've discovered an unusual COM driver configuration in my Device Manager on Windows (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager).
Windows tries to work with an internal "USB-SERIAL CH340" driver instead of the correct Mindwave USB Adaptor (typically installed in "C:/Program Files/NeuroSky/MindWave Driver" folder. This issue has been reported as well last December:

http://support.neurosky.com/kb/mindwave ... ting-often

So, once I have changed the driver, the acquisition server worked perfectly with Mindwave!

Cheers
Marco

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hi Marco !

Many thanks for this information.
I was totally in the dark when facing this problem...

As several users reported this issue, I update the FAQ right now.

Hope this helps future user of neurosky-based products.

Laurent-

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Hi,

I get a similar issue when using the Mindwave mobile as it connects via Bluetooth through a standard serial over Bluetooth link, and while it sees the connection on the port, it can't read data.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Simon

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

Hello Stitch,

have you tried the solution proposed in http://openvibe.inria.fr/FAQ/#I+can%E2% ... sky+Driver ? Please keep us posted

Thank you
Jozef

Moe

Post by Moe »

I have a Mindwave Mobile too and can't get it to work. Things are a little different here compared to a normal Mindwave because the Mindwave Mobile doesn't have a Bluetooth dongle and therefore no special driver, at least there is none included in the Mindwave Mobile installer. Stitch, did you get this thing running?

Gatone

Post by Gatone »

Hello !

I also have a Mindwave Mobile.
Being quiet disappointed by Neurosky softwares availables to display and record EEG datas I must say Open Vibe is a very good alternative, and I am really greatfull for that impressiv work.

However I can't connect my hardware neither and none of the previous solutions I read on the forum concerning Mindwave and Mindset would work with my Mindwave Mobile.

I have very little programming background. All I can had to the discussion is that Thinkgear doesn't look necessary to connect the Mindwave Mobile: many non-Neurosky Apps connect the headset while Thinkgar status remaining "disconnected".
Then, maybe Thinkgear should just be by-passed.

Couldn't do it anyway.

My little stone; if anyone has a solution, I would be very interested to read it !!

mike54

Post by mike54 »

Hi,
However I can't connect my hardware neither and none of the previous solutions I read on the forum concerning Mindwave and Mindset would work with my Mindwave Mobile.

I've just bought this device and also tried everything without success. I hope there will be a solution to make this Mindwave Mobile to work with OpenVibe. :)

Best regards

Mike

kmbrlychu

Post by kmbrlychu »

Hello I also recently got mindwave mobile and i have no idea how to connect it to open vibe acquisition server. If any of u have any idea could help explain here?

btw the link below, some of the picture links were broken
http://openvibe.inria.fr/acquisition-server/