Openvibe with neurosky mindset on linux

Ask for a new OpenViBE feature.
kodda

Openvibe with neurosky mindset on linux

Post by kodda »

Hello

I was so happy to see a 200$ eeg device available in europe that I bought a neurosky mindset. Unfortunately, I have only a linux os (ubuntu) and I would like to know about your use of neurosky mindset with linux. Is it possible? how did you managed to make it work?
Best

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Openvibe with neurosky mindset on linux

Post by yrenard »

Dear kodda,

thank you for your interest in OpenViBE and welcome on this forum. Sorry for late reply, I guess the team did not notice your message.

The mindset API is only available for Windows at the moment. However, the communication protocol is documented and it is possible to implement it on Linux (this has not been done yet for OpenViBE but Brainstorm does it for instance).

If you feel contributing, just tell Laurent so he can follow your work and provide guidelines.

Hope this helps,
Yann

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hello koda !

Indeed I missed your message... thanks Yann btw.
If you feel contributing, just tell Laurent so he can follow your work and provide guidelines.
Yep ! I also think this would be a nice contribution. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any question.

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

azolia

Post by azolia »

Bonjour,

Je recherche la configuration matérielle minimale pour pouvoir utiliser les ondes cérébrales comme périphique d'entrée d'un PC (comme une souris).
Le casque Neurosky Mindset est-il suffisament sensible pour ce que je veux faire ?

François

lbonnet
Site Admin

Post by lbonnet »

Hello François,

As the openvibe community is international, we will have to continue this discussion in english.

You were asking if the Neurosky Mindset is sensible enough to use brain waves as an input peripheral for a PC (like a mouse).

I suggest you look at the previous topics about Neurosky Mindset (here or here), maybe it could help.

We are not using the MindSet in our BCI applications such as P300 speller or Motor-imagery as they require many more electrodes.
With only one electrode on a front location, you cannot expect enough information for these paradigms in my opinion.

Neurosky provide on their website some academic papers that describes use-cases for the Mindset, maybe you will find some relevant information in it.

Hope this helps !

Laurent-
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

azolia

Post by azolia »

Hello Laurent,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'd already read some topics about Neurosky Mindset, but was unsure about it could be a chance or not to use it for mouse control.
I've guessed that one electrod was not enough for this purpose. By the way, I wonder why this headset is listed among EEG input devices (not precise enough for control or brain activity monitoring).

For mouse control, I guess I should consider Emotiv EPOC , with Research SDK, or OpenEEG .
The other input devices listed are really more expensive (could be 15000 euros).

Which input devices do you consider to be worth for a mouse control ?

Thanks,
François

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

Hello François,

the choice of hardware really depends on which paradigm you wish to use to control the mouse, since not only number but also the positions of the electrodes matter.

Neurosky is mostly used to check your level of concentration, thus usually provides only one command. Otherwise your choice really depends on your budget. OpenEEG itself has to be built first, you can either do it yourself or have somebody make it for you. But it needs at least some skill with electronics.

Emotiv EPOC has been already with several paradigms and has a rather good number of electrodes. Its inconvenient is that you can not change their positions and there are no electrodes on the 'z' positions (in the middle).

Finally you can use medical hardware which is quite expensive but it has the cleanest signal and is most modular.

Emotiv could be a good choice if you are on tighter budget, however before choosing your hardware you should verify that it will work with the intended paradigm.

Regards
Jozef

konklone

Post by konklone »

What's the current status of using openvibe on Linux with the Neurosky MindSet? I just bought one, hoping to develop against it on Linux.

If it's still unsupported - how challenging would it be to add this support? How might I get started?