Emotiv VS Neurosky

About Brain Computer Interfaces, EEG, neurofeedback, related event announcements, jobs, etc.
jeanjacques

Emotiv VS Neurosky

Post by jeanjacques »

Hi

I d Like to buy some hardware in order to experiment with OpenViBE.
The goal of this experiment is to see of if it could be possible to gather ineresting data from user who visit websites and detect confusion, attention, fear and excitment.

I'm looking for consumer grade hardware and neurosky products, thanks to their price looks really interesting compared to Emotiv products (as i don t understand the difference between Emotiv and neurosky, excepted the fact that Emotiv looks much less convenient to use as you need to use some liquids for the sensors)

I'd like to know your advices and feedbacks as i m not an expert in this field and i may do an "apple to orange" type of comparison.

Thanks for your comments,

Jean Jacques

jlegeny

Re: Emotiv VS Neurosky

Post by jlegeny »

Hello Jean Jacques,

the main difference between the Emotiv and Neurosky headsets is the number of electrodes. Neurosky only has one, positioned on the forehead whereas Emotiv has 14 positioned all around the scalp. As various paradigms manifest in EEG on different positions you will have more possibilities with the Emotiv headset.

In order to choose which headset is better you should try to search for research papers which have treated this subject. A good way to search for such papers is <a href="scholar.google.com">google scholar</a>.

An example of an interesting paper somehow related to your subject : http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 9930126048

Before conducting your study you must assure yourself that what you are trying to achieve is possible with the material you choose.

Cheers
Jozef

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear Jean Jacques,

in addition to what Jozef stated, I'd like to mention that OpenViBE does not yet have built in capabilities of measuring confusion, fear, attention and excitement. However, each device comes with its dedicated tools that can measure some of the metrics your are looking for (the way this is extracted from brain signals is totally undocumented by the way).

This leads to the fact that OpenViBE may not be the best tool to achieve what you want to do except if you have knowledge to extract these features or you ask someone with that knowledge to do it for you.

I hope this helps, tell us about your progress !

Yann

jeanjacques

Post by jeanjacques »

Hi Jozef and Yann,

First of all thanks a lot for your feedbacks.
I really feel lucky that you take time to help people like me.. OpenViBE looks awesome and the community surrounding it is even better.

I've understood now that Neurosky and Emotiv are different types of products considering the total number of sensors available.

About processing of the data coming from the hardware i reckon that it won't work out of the box. I've started to look at some litterature on the subject (like Emotion Assessment: Arousal Evaluation Using EEG's and Peripheral Physiological Signals
Guillaume Chanel, Julien Kronegg, Didier Grandjean, Thierry Pun) and i'm not sure that it's even possible to identify these metrics....

I'll definitely keep you updated about my progress.

Thanks for your help

Jean-Jacques