jaw clenching, artifact removal in P300 scenario.

About Brain Computer Interfaces, EEG, neurofeedback, related event announcements, jobs, etc.
etc

jaw clenching, artifact removal in P300 scenario.

Post by etc »

Sorry for my bad English!
I am trying to use the P300 scenarios (P300 Speller); I undertsood that some artifacts, i.e. the jaw clenching artifacts, can give a lot of problems finding P300.
But the good news is, perhaps, that the signal can be cleaned because the signal made by jaw clenching or by eye movement or by eye blink or by any muscolar movement is stronger than the P300 signal and it can be detected and then removed (a filter on the volts?).
I found only one Topic dated 2011 on this Forum, and I understood that the P300 scenario, at date 2011, was not built to clean the signal from these artifacts. I read in a RE to that Topic, that in 2011 we had to use the DSP BOX. But it is not easy to use to get the result.
The questions are: now, in the 2020, are able to remove artifact the new versions of P300 scenarios, P300 Speller or P300 SPeller XDAWN? And, if yes, how.
If not, how can I do to remove these artifacts? DSP box? And how can I manage DSP box to get the result? What mathematical formulae?
Thank you very much!
Ettore

Thibaut

Re: jaw clenching, artifact removal in P300 scenario.

Post by Thibaut »

Hi,
For Jaw artefact, if you build OpenViBE from source, you can use the box artefact detection with 70 to 100 as parameter, he suppress all signal with an amplitude higher than 70 (o lower than -70. It corresponding to muscular artefact.
Thibaut

etc

Post by etc »

Thank you, Thibaut! Thank you very much!
Two other questions:
1) I am an old programmer (very old...) IBM, Cobol, PL/I, etc... . I have no experience with the new programming languages . Now, I am working with P300-Speller from an Openvibe "Stable Windows Installer". If I try to install Opnevibe by "Stable Source Code", have I before to uninstall the actual Openvibe ("Stable window installer")? I would like to keep the actual version ("Stable Windows Installer") because I have there the outputs of my first tests. I would prefer, if possible, to copy the Box Artefact detection from the new installation ("Stable Source Code") to the old one;
2) I said that I am an old programmer... . I am tryng to learn to use Openvibe (P300) to help my daughter, Laura, a disabled girl, to communicate. I have some informations about P300, but I am not an expert one.
Now, I have some problems to understand all the scenarios, the single boxes , what every term means. In the last 2 months I have been tryng to understand reading the descriptions of every box (but sometimes these descriptions are for already expert people) and reading some discussion about BCI on this Forum. For me it is not all clear and I think that If I don't understand well I will not able to reach my gol!
The question: can I post a set of questions, 6-8 questions, or are too many?
Sorry for my bad English!
Ettore

Thibaut

Post by Thibaut »

Hi, Ask all question you want.^^ But I remember Fabien have give you some details on a previous post. It's maybe better to continue on this.
For the first, yes you can keep the stable version in parallel with build version. But without knowledge about compiling and code, it maybe a little hard to understand how to build openvibe. You can try with the web page tutorial but... Argh.... You must install some software to compile source code.
If you can wait for artefact and all new features you can wait I think september with Thomas we work on the new release.
Thibaut

etc

Post by etc »

Thank you very much, Thibaut!!!
I think that because my 6-7 questions are related to a lot of boxes and to a lot of terms about P300, it will be more clear to open a new post.
I need some time to try to write in clear English (Sigh!!!) my questions!!!!
Thank you very much!!!
Ettore

etc

Post by etc »

Dear Thibaut,
sorry for my bad English!
I read your suggestion for me " if you build OpenViBE from source, you can use the box artefact detection with 70 to 100 as parameter" and I installed another Opnevibe from source! The job was very hard...! But I installed the product.
But now I dont'see the box "artefact detection". I tried to find it, but I didn't find it.
I started the openvibe-designer by dist/designer-Realease-x64 and then by dist/extras-Release-x64 (I dont'k know what is the difference starting the designer from the first directory or from the second one...) .
From the first directory I then read Openvibe 0.0.0; from the second directory I read Openvibe 2.2.0. But I don't find the box "artefact detection" in any directory.
Where is my mistake? Where can I find the box artifact detection?
Thank you.
Ettore

Thibaut

Post by Thibaut »

Yes, when you build frome source check the master of all branch only the meta isn't enough, new algorithm aren't yet in this (but soon^^)