Controlling a nes game with openvibe

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
brodwix1

Controlling a nes game with openvibe

Post by brodwix1 »

Hello everyone!

I'm new at openvibe and this is my first post here. I'm currently working on my thesis project which involves brain signals and videogames. For my project, i'm pretending to control a simple nes game, (e.g. super mario) with only left or right movements firstly. I followed the vrpn tutorial "Sending data from OpenViBE to an external application" and ran the openvibe-examples-openvibe-to-vrpn.exe.
I can see some random positive and negative values coming out to cmd...
The question is, would it be posible achieve this project with openvibe? Is there a way to carry this signals and convert them into left-right keyboard presses in a nes emulator?

Thank you so much in advance.

jtlindgren

Re: Controlling a nes game with openvibe

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi, sure, you just need to forward 'classifier processor' outputs to the NES emulator using some communication protocol of your choice (see the ov web documentation); you can look at the motor imagery scenarios how the left/right detection works.

The challenge is twofold:

1) code the reception of the commands on the NES emulator side
2) get reliable controls from motor imagery.

Basically #2 is the reason why such a thing doesn't exist already on the market: even people who are good at motor imagery get something like 80% accuracy and each left/right command may need 4 seconds of data. It may work for something relatively slow paced, like navigation in a 'turn-based' game.

Cheers,
Jussi

brodwix1

Re: Controlling a nes game with openvibe

Post by brodwix1 »

Hi again, and thanks for your fast reply

Which program do i need to use to start coding the reception of the commands??
Do i need to change the source code of any NES emulator in order to recognize them?