TCP writer

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
j-loe

TCP writer

Post by j-loe »

Hi,

I'm new to OV and have just installed and started exploring. One thing I cannot find is the TCP Writer box/plug-in.
I can't see it in the designer box library or any reference to it in the OV program files directory. I can see it in the release notes of version 0.17.0, but is there anything I need to do to 'activate' it?

Thanks,

J

jtlindgren

Re: TCP writer

Post by jtlindgren »

Hello j-loe,

the TCP Writer is very new and hasn't been tested much, so you need to tick 'show unstable' to have it visible in the list.

Happy hacking,
Jussi

j-loe

Post by j-loe »

Hi Jussi,

Thanks, didn't spot that!

Does it only connect to localhost then?

J

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

TCP Writer is a server, it opens a socket for clients to connect to. As a server, it does not initiate connections to external hosts.

Best,
Jussi

j-loe

Post by j-loe »

OK.
I get no errors when I run a scenario with the object in, but when I try to connect/receive data on the same port in external apps I get the following issues.

Code: Select all

[WARNING] At time 0.000 sec <Box algorithm :: TCP Writer> Got error 'Only one usage of each socket address <protocol/network/address/port> is normally permitted' allocating acceptor to port 3000
[WARNING] Box algorithm <TCP Writer> has been deactivated because initialization phase returned a bad status
I'm not sure what's causing the second warning, but is the first to do with the server also listening on the port? I only have one instance of an application trying to receive data on the port so it seems a bit odd.

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Make sure that nothing else listens to that socket. It is also possible that the socket is not instantly freed after Designer terminates, or when you press stop, but takes some time. You cannot start another TCP Writer on the same socket before the OS has properly freed it.

What OS are you on?

Happy hacking,
Jussi

j-loe

Post by j-loe »

So, I've tried on a range of ports but to no avail.
When the scenario is running I'm unable to connect to the port from my external app (pure data). And when I match the two ports before executing the scenario, I get the same errors. Tried rebooting a couple of times, but no joy.

I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks,

J

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

The box has been tested to work on windows seven. Do the examples mentioned on the following page work? If so, then I suppose there's something funky in the client code.

http://openvibe.inria.fr/documentation/ ... riter.html

Cheers,
Jussi

j-loe

Post by j-loe »

Yep, tested using the examples and got it working thanks! Just needed some tweaking in my external app.

Now for the challenge of converting double to single 32 float!
On the other hand it seems that someone else has tried to do what I'm attempting. Perhaps this is a better approach.