Connection OpenVibe and other Software - Existing Protocol ?

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
MGR

Connection OpenVibe and other Software - Existing Protocol ?

Post by MGR »

Hi,

i'm planning to use OpenVibe to process data from an OpenEEG hardware.

I would like to use openvibe processed output data as input in other softwares like MaxMSP, PureData or Processing.

So, i'm looking for a one-way (OpenVibe->?) real-time (or at least fast) communication protocol between those applications.
Something like a network protocol seems to be a good idea, like OSC or TCP/IP or sockets..
but this is maybe not the only solution, and maybe not possible to use with OpenVibe.
I also read a bit about OpenMASK or VRPN but i'm not very familiar with those protocols.

If you have any starting point to help me find what i'm looking for, it would be great !

Thanks

Best Regards,

Thomas

ddvlamin

Re: Connection OpenVibe and other Software - Existing Protoc

Post by ddvlamin »

Hi,

Depending on what exactly you want to send to another application I think VRPN is a good choice, for example if you want to send some stimuli or one analog signal to an external application. There's some example client code to get started with the analog VRPN in the topic: viewtopic.php?t=507&p=2463#p2463
Note that it has been reported on this forum that there can be delays when using this protocol, this may be a constraint depending on what you want to do with that external application.

I don't know if VRPN is a good choice if you want to send a whole bunch of signals. In that case maybe you can write you own dedicated box, for that you can use OpenViBE's plugin tutorial http://openvibe.inria.fr/documentation/ ... lugin.html and the boost library that comes with OpenViBE as it has a package to implement shared memory communication between applications (interprocess), but also a package to implement socket communication using the asio package

Best regards,
Dieter

rosab

Re: Connection OpenVibe and other Software - Existing Protoc

Post by rosab »

Hi Thomas, I am working in a similar line.
Maybe this response is too late, but I will enjoy talking with people using OpenVibe with PureData.
You have 2 main options. OSC for control based scenario insights and TCPWriter box for streaming the full signal.
The TCPWriter box documentation here:
http://openvibe.inria.fr//documentation ... riter.html

You can see in the doc that you must deal inside PureData with some headers. For thar reason I wrote a PureData external in order to skip header and go to the signal. The PureData external I wrote is here:
https://github.com/Avidabits/tcpOpenVibe

I will really enjoy talk about you work with OpenVibe and PureData... I am really alone with OpenVibe, I dont knew people working with it in Madrid :( ....

Best regards
Rosa Bernárdez
MGR wrote:Hi,

i'm planning to use OpenVibe to process data from an OpenEEG hardware.

I would like to use openvibe processed output data as input in other softwares like MaxMSP, PureData or Processing.

So, i'm looking for a one-way (OpenVibe->?) real-time (or at least fast) communication protocol between those applications.
Something like a network protocol seems to be a good idea, like OSC or TCP/IP or sockets..
but this is maybe not the only solution, and maybe not possible to use with OpenVibe.
I also read a bit about OpenMASK or VRPN but i'm not very familiar with those protocols.

If you have any starting point to help me find what i'm looking for, it would be great !

Thanks

Best Regards,

Thomas