trouble building openvibe on linux

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
nicolasbruneau

trouble building openvibe on linux

Post by nicolasbruneau »

Hi,
I am trying to install openvibe on linux (ubuntu 10.04 LTS) but it doesn't seem to work

First I used the following svn line as said in another topic

svn checkout svn://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/openvibe

it works

but then when I try to install the dependencies, it doesn't work for VRPN. At first I thought that the ftp link was dead, but it is just awfully long. I downloaded the zip file then i put it on a website where i could download it by changing the url in the script file.

Here's the result

./linux-install_dependencies

Trying to install package [vrpn]...
Downloading [127.0.0.1/vrpn_07_26.zip] as [vrpn_07_26.zip]...
Downloading [127.0.0.1/vrpn_07_26.zip] succeeded...
Uncompressing [/home/nicolas/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/arch/vrpn_07_26.zip]...
Uncompressing [/home/nicolas/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/arch/vrpn_07_26.zip] succeeded...
Configuring [vrpn]...
Configuring [vrpn] failed !
Log file can be found at [/home/nicolas/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/log/vrpn.log] and ends with :

2011-07-22 18:12:10 (58,9 MB/s) - «/home/nicolas/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/arch/vrpn_07_26.zip.tmp» sauvegardé [970155/970155]

Archive: /home/nicolas/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/arch/vrpn_07_26.zip
creating: vrpn_07_26/
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn.cfg
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn.lib
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn_print_devices.exe
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn_server.exe
inflating: vrpn_07_26/wiiuse.dll
/bin/sed: impossible de lire quat/Makefile: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

i only put the part that concerns VRPN of course

Do you have any idea of what I should do to deal with this problem?

PS: I cannot change distribution the software for the device I use only works with ubuntu 10.04 LTS

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: trouble building openvibe on linux

Post by yrenard »

Dear nicolasbruneau,

thank you for your interest in OpenViBE and welcome on this forum.

You obviously modified the dependencies installer so that it looks for VRPN on localhost, which obviously has a web server and serves an invalid (Windows ?) file.

I suggest that you try with the original dependencies installer.

Best regards,
Yann

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

but the zip file i downloaded was actually the one that would have been downloaded by the original script. so if it is invalid it would have been for every one trying to build openvibe on linux.

The original does not work because the ftp download is too slow, there is a timeout.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Nicolas,

the file at ftp://ftp.cs.unc.edu/pub/packages/GRIP/ ... _07_26.zip is the correct one. This file does not contain the following files :

Code: Select all

Archive: /home/nicolas/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/arch/vrpn_07_26.zip
creating: vrpn_07_26/
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn.cfg
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn.lib
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn_print_devices.exe
inflating: vrpn_07_26/vrpn_server.exe
inflating: vrpn_07_26/wiiuse.dll 
Please, if you don't want to use the correct URL, just update the file on your local server

Yann

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

ok sorry about that.

but now i get this

Archive: /home/nicolas/Téléchargements/vrpn_07_26.zip
[/home/nicolas/Téléchargements/vrpn_07_26.zip]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/nicolas/Téléchargements/vrpn_07_26.zip or
/home/nicolas/Téléchargements/vrpn_07_26.zip.zip, and cannot find /home/nicolas/Téléchargements/vrpn_07_26.zip.ZIP, period.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Where does this message come from ?

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

well actually i get this message when i try to unzip the archive. I get the same thing when the script tries.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Probably the download did not correctly finish. Re download the file ;)

I just downloaded it and it is ok.

Yann

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

Ok i know the problem

the file is empty.

it is just that when firefox timeouts it creates the file anyway but empty. I'll try again at home, i might have more chances this time.

:cry:

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

ok, the connection at work was making the install to fail. sorry about that.

do I have to launch the designer in a certain way?
When i launch the designer by entering ./ov-designer.sh i get this

2931: old priority 0, new priority 19
[ INF ] Created kernel loader, trying to load kernel module
[ INF ] Kernel module loaded, trying to get kernel descriptor
[ INF ] Got kernel descriptor, trying to create kernel
[ INF ] Adding [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-*.so]
[ INF ] Added 2 (0x2) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-acquisition-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 6 (0x6) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-classification-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 1 (0x1) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-classification-gpl-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 1 (0x1) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-feature-extraction-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 14 (0xe) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-file-io-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 9 (0x9) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-samples-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 27 (0x1b) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-signal-processing-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 20 (0x14) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-signal-processing-gpl-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 17 (0x11) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-simple-visualisation-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 11 (0xb) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-stimulation-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 19 (0x13) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-stream-codecs-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 3 (0x3) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-streaming-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 4 (0x4) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-tools-dynamic.so]
[ INF ] Added 4 (0x4) plugin object descriptor(s) from [../lib/libOpenViBE-plugins-vrpn-dynamic.so]
terminate called without an active exception
Abandon

did the installation fail somewhere?

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

here's what i get when i run the debug

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xb6b43f8a in std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > std::operator+<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >(char const*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&) () from /usr/lib/libOgreMain.so.1.7.3

does that mean that ogre has not been succesfully installed?

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

Hello,

looking at the path from which the error comes from it seems like OpenViBE is trying to use a native Ogre installation. It indeed seems that the ogre dependency was not correctly (or at all) built by the install dependencies script and that OpenViBE now links to an Ogre installation made previously.

Can you please verify that Ogre is well present in the scripts/software/lib (in the OpenViBE root directory) folder?

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

here's the content of the OGRE folder

nicolas@nicolas-laptop:~/Bureau/openvibe2/openvibe/trunk/scripts/software/lib/OGRE$ ls -lah
total 28M
drwxr-xr-x 3 nicolas nicolas 4,0K 2011-07-22 18:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 nicolas nicolas 4,0K 2011-07-24 22:48 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 nicolas nicolas 4,0K 2011-07-22 18:08 cmake
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 3,0M 2011-07-22 18:03 Plugin_BSPSceneManager.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 1,9M 2011-07-22 18:04 Plugin_CgProgramManager.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 3,7M 2011-07-22 18:04 Plugin_OctreeSceneManager.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 2,8M 2011-07-22 18:07 Plugin_OctreeZone.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 3,3M 2011-07-22 18:05 Plugin_ParticleFX.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 4,1M 2011-07-22 18:06 Plugin_PCZSceneManager.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 265 2011-07-22 18:08 Plugins.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 nicolas nicolas 9,1M 2011-07-22 18:06 RenderSystem_GL.so

is it what should be expected?

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

For the lib/OGRE folder it is as expected, there should be more libraries directly in the lib folder as well, such as the libOgreMain.so

I think that the problem is that during the compilation of OpenViBE the build process used your native ogre installation. A simple solution would be to uninstall your native Ogre and then re-run the OpenViBE build process. I don't know whether you can or want to do that though.

Try deleting the scripts/software/hit/ogre.hit file, re-running the install dependencies script and re-building OpenViBE, check for any error messages in the scripts/software/log/ogre.log.

nicolasbruneau

Post by nicolasbruneau »

well after uninstall ogre from openvibe as well as from my computer and then rerun the linux-install-dependencies, the linux-build fails. I reinstalled the ogre library with apt-get and the build "works". but designer is still not functioning

If i don't find a solution i will have to launch the acquisition server on my computer and then the designer on another one but that's not really a good idea for my application

on what version of ogre do you work?