openVibe on a linux [ubuntu] embedded system

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
luighi

openVibe on a linux [ubuntu] embedded system

Post by luighi »

Hi all,
what is the way to use openVibe on a linux [ubuntu] embedded system ?
what is the minimal configuration of the OS that need?

I would to use openvibe on a SoC like Raspberry in order to have a "stand alone" application that can control a servo. So, just a "light" version of the software, I think :?:

thanks

jlegeny

Re: openVibe on a linux [ubuntu] embedded system

Post by jlegeny »

Hello luighi,

currently the openvibe depends on several libraries which are probably not available on the embedded distribution.

The full list of dependencies is here: http://openvibe.inria.fr/faq/#What+depe ... d+on+Linux+? Note also that a Raspberry might not be powerful enough to handle running both acquisition server and the designer at the same time, but this is a thing that remains to be tested.

Cheers
Jozef

alexandre.barachant

Post by alexandre.barachant »

Hi,

I actually manage to compile OV on a rasberry pi.
The main difficulty is to compile ogre. It takes me several days to achieve this, but at the end it is possible.

However, the rasberry has no opengl renderer compatible with ogre so the designer will crash on some scenarios (in my tests, when i use a signal viewer). So openvibe is not fully functional on the rasberry.
The good point is that the acquisition server seems to work fine, and the rasberry is powerful enough to handle running both acquisition server and the designer at the same time with basic signal processing.

Alexandre

luighi

Post by luighi »

Great news :D
Thank you Alexandre

luighi

Post by luighi »

Hi, I'm trying to install OpenVibe on my UDOO board but I have this error when I launch the script linux-build

Code: Select all

[  0%] Built target openvibe-id-generator
[  0%] [  1%] Built target openvibe-external-stimulation-connection-example
Building CXX object common/CMakeFiles/openvibe-common.dir/src/main.cpp.o
/home/ubuntu/Desktop/openvibe-0.16.1-svn3780-src/common/src/main.cpp: In function 'int main()':
/home/ubuntu/Desktop/openvibe-0.16.1-svn3780-src/common/src/main.cpp:35:2: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to incomplete type 'boost::STATIC_ASSERTION_FAILURE<false>' 
/home/ubuntu/Desktop/openvibe-0.16.1-svn3780-src/common/src/main.cpp:35:2: error: template argument 1 is invalid
/home/ubuntu/Desktop/openvibe-0.16.1-svn3780-src/common/src/main.cpp:35:55: error: invalid type in declaration before ';' token
make[2]: *** [common/CMakeFiles/openvibe-common.dir/src/main.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [common/CMakeFiles/openvibe-common.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Can anybody help me,please?

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

If you're trying to compile openvibe on anything else except the supported platforms (e.g. standard pcs running the usual OSes, see supported platforms), you can expect to run into all sorts of problems, and solving them will need you to understand and modify C++ code.

About the particular case, if you view the corresponding C++ file its complaining about, you notice that the problem has something to do with float80 and float64, which are defined as long double and double, correspondingly. If your boost dependency is in order, the problem likely lies with either of those numeric types. Possibly long double is not available on your platform. The line in question is basically just a test that float80 is not the same as float64. That test might be also failing, if your platform defines them as the same. Float80 is not really widely used in openvibe, you might try removing the test and see where that gets you to.

Hope this helps,
Jussi

luighi

Post by luighi »

Hi jtlindgren, thank for the reply.

Do you think there's a chance to start a common path for the adaptation of OpenVibe in order to runs it on UDOO? I know the basics of C++ and I have a fair understanding of the Linux system, so if you tell me what I have to do I think I can understand you :)
Best Regards

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

Unfortunately we don't have resources here to support additional platforms (and if we had, Mac would probably be our priority), but to some extent we can answer precise technical questions if someone else takes up this kind of porting task. One thing is worth mentioning -- unless you have all the critical dependencies (ogre, gtk, boost, it++, ...) available on your platform, I'd expect the porting effort to be nontrivial and take some time.

Cheers,
Jussi