openvibe-designe doesn’t start, help please!

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
gigi

openvibe-designe doesn’t start, help please!

Post by gigi »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and EEG. I am doing some investigation on dyslexia an ADHD. I have just bought a Neurosky MindWave Mobile end, after a brief search, I found that OpenVibe would ideal to do every kind of analysis an visualization on the head-set data.
But…

After installed OpenVibe but I can’t get it working.
I have downloaded “openvibe-0.15.0-svn3400-setup.exe” from the page “http://openvibe.inria.fr/downloads/ “ after the installation procedure on Windows7, I tried to start it by clicking on the shortcut in the start menu linking to "C:\Program Files (x86)\openvibe\openvibe-designer.cmd". The black window of command line appeared and, after a bunch of messages, stop at the massage: “ImportError: no module named site”

Here the log file http://www.micromega.org/tmp/log.txt (I don’t know how long post are allowed)
If somebody could help me I would very grateful.

Best regards
Gigi

jtlindgren

Re: openvibe-designe doesn’t start, help please!

Post by jtlindgren »

Hi,

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything grievously wrong in the log you posted, and we've definitely tested OpenViBE on Windows 7's we have here. :(

Has the designer started even once? What you could do is try to delete "C:\Users\gg/openvibe.conf". There is not there by default, afaik.

Best,
Jussi

gigi

Post by gigi »

It never worked. I have deleted the openvibe.conf file and still don’t woks.
What “ImportError: no module named site” means?

jtlindgren

Post by jtlindgren »

There doesn't seem to be error with that name in the OpenViBE codebase. Googling for it suggests that your PATH or environment variables may be pointing to an incompatible version of python or gtk. For example, there can be some application that provides something as part of its own distribution that conflicts with what Openvibe expects and is in the PATH before openvibe appends its own there. In case its python, you could try removing python from openvibe entirely by deleting "program files (x86)\openvibe\bin\OpenViBE-plugins-python-dynamic.dll" and see what happens.

If this helps, please let us know. If Openvibe is affected by components of other software on Windows, that is a bug.

Cheers,
Jussi

gigi

Post by gigi »

Unfortunately I can’t tell exactly what was the problem because I solved it by compiling the source code.
I fallowed the instructions in the article “How to install/compile OpenViBE in Windows” on the page
http://www.emotion-computing.org/?p=77. it was pretty fast and easy and I’d suggest to anyone who is having such a troubles to do the same.

Meanwhile, I thanks you and all the staff of OpenViBE for the excellent job you are doing.

Gigi

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

Hello gigi,

glad to hear that you have solved your problem. The error you mentioned usually happens when you have had python installed and then remove the Python27 folder without going through the uninstall procedure.

Is this the case for your installation? It would help us to have more information about this issue so we can help other users and debug the future installs better.

Thank you
Jozef