How to get started with neurofeedback?

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
Nathali

How to get started with neurofeedback?

Post by Nathali »

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding the main page of this project, in FEATURES category. There is an information about neurofeedback possibilities.. Can someone explain me how it is possible to get started? I mean if there are already some scenarios, that are built-in..or at least reccomendations from the developers?

Thank you in advance.

ddvlamin

Re: How to get started with neurofeedback?

Post by ddvlamin »

Hi,

After you have installed openvibe (from source or by downloading and installing the precompiled version for windows http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=download), you should be able to find some predefined scenarios. There is also one for neurofeedback (and others P300, motor imagery): the one that controls the height of the Star Wars spaceship. The scenarios can be found in the share\openvibe-scenarios\bci directory of OpenViBE. You can then try different settings for the boxes in the scenario. If you want to use it in real-time you will have to remove the file reader box and replace it with the acquisition server box.

Hope this helps, if not just ask.

Best regards,
Dieter Devlaminck

Nathali

Post by Nathali »

thank you! I've downloaded it but didn't put my hands into it deeply up till now..it's not just a question, I will try it today or tomorrow for sure but need to read the manual carefully..because don't know f.e. the use of these boxes...

ddvlamin

Post by ddvlamin »

the documentation (and also the videos on the homepage) can indeed clarify and explain the use of most boxes. Some are self-explanatory like the channel selection box, other boxes like the ICA or xDAWN boxes maybe need a bit more explanation or knowledge to handle them correctly. A good way to get to know them is to try to understand the scenarios that come with OpenViBE.

Off course, to make your own scenario, you will also need knowledge about the paradigm itself, the features it uses and how they are computed.

Nathali

Post by Nathali »

Hello everyone,

I have a question. After applying FFT in OpenVibe, how can I calculate the sparks of different frequences, so I can have a kind of histogram (diagram, etc)

Maybe someone tried..

Thank you in advance.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear Nathali,

I think a combination of the Frequency Band Selector box and the Spectrum Average will perform the computation you are looking for.

I hope this helps,
Yann

Nathali

Post by Nathali »

Yann, thank you! That helped a lot!I got it worked in a way I wanted. I have one more question. How it is possible to combine different sinusoid signals for 1 input (i want to simulate brain waves to check if the scenatiors are ok). I saw renaming, cropping...but not what I need.

Thank you in advance!

jlegeny

Post by jlegeny »

Dear Nathali,

you can use the Simple DSP box do to basic mathematical operations on signals, such as addition, subtraction and various higher level mathematical functions

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear Nathali,

in addition to the Simple DSP box, you should consider the use of the Time Signal box, the Signal Merger box and the Channel Rename box. A bunch of boxes among these 4 will allow you to generate, merge and name the signals you want to create.

Hope that helps,
Yann

Nathali

Post by Nathali »

Thank you all. That helped. Try to be more accurate next time and at least to look through all boxes first.. :)