Comparing OpenVibe with platforms like Emotive

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
kazam

Comparing OpenVibe with platforms like Emotive

Post by kazam »

Hi,
I couldn't find a more relevant place to place this discussion, so I am posting here.
How does openVibe compare to other BCI projects like emotive (http://emotiv.com/ ), in terms of capabilities and goals.

Thanks, kazam.

nbaron

Re: Comparing OpenVibe with platforms like Emotive

Post by nbaron »

Hi.
Good question, I am trying to find the answer too. Here are the results of my investigation.
First of all you can not perform a strict comparison cause EPOC is fixed hardware+software and OpenVibe is software+various hardware.
>Emotiv EPOC
+ : Emotiv EPOC have 2 versions (as far as I know, only design differences). They announce a large number of state detected (including very interesting like push...). The price.
- : I am still sceptic concerning all the states detected. Some people who tested the previous version report me bad experience (no result or random). The only test running by someone who look likes extern to Emotiv corp is "Darkback" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GX8moQzOOM).

>OpenVibe
+ : Open :D for the software. For the hardware you have the choice (in quality and price). OpenVibe allow you to implement any detection algo you want, so potentially unlimited state detection. But currently "on the paper" it's provide less than emotiv.
- : ?

My point of view : if there is differences, they are in algo implementation to grab state from raw. Once you get the maths stuff to perform 'rotate CCW' state extraction it will take 2 min with OpenVibe.

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Comparing OpenVibe with platforms like Emotive

Post by yrenard »

Dear nbaron and welcome on this forum.

Thank you for your reply. I did not notice the original post...

To answer kazam, I'd like to stress the fact that eMotiv does not want to expose RAW (unprocessed) data to the application developer. They choose to expose processed data, not allowing to know what or how it is really processed. I'd like to test their hardware to better know whether it's actually usable or not.

Yann