Using openvibe with Emotiv

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
pickku

Using openvibe with Emotiv

Post by pickku »

I am doing by PG project using EEG signals for BCI application like interfacing machine with corresponding eye movemnets.I acquired signal using Emotiv EPOC research edition but it is in EDF format.I like to use openvibe because of its easy feature,but their is no box for reading EDF file and also for CSV file.I tried to convert EDF file to GDF file using EEGLAB but it not successful and while loading in GDF reader box i am getting the error as the siganls have differnt sampling rate,I dont know how to proceed further.Please give me favourable solution and reply earliest.
Thankyou

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: Using openvibe with Emotiv

Post by lbonnet »

Hi pickku and welcome on board !

First let me remind you that you can directly record Emotiv EEG with openvibe ;)
You will find on the forum/website all information to do that.

Regarding file format, we know that our implementation of GDF format is not the same as EEGLAB one, resulting in incompatibility.
We don't have any EDF file reader in openvibe yet, but a CSV file reader is currently developed, and we hope that it will be available soon in the official release.
For now it's in a branch (openvibe-plugins/file-io/branches/wip-bpayan-csv-reader) of the repository, if you want to try it.

This previous thread on the forum also discuss the EDF file reading in openvibe. It has not been updated in a while but maybe ThinkEEG has made some progress if you want to contact him(her?).

Best regards,

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

pickku

Post by pickku »

Thankyou for your reply.the plugin you told is thr in the installation but its not coming in the openvibe designer box algorithm.Can you tell how to proceed with CSV reader in the designer.
And can you give some idea of how to proceed with the project I posted earlier here and how to process ,extract and classify the signals .

ddvlamin

Post by ddvlamin »

pickku wrote:Thankyou for your reply.the plugin you told is thr in the installation but its not coming in the openvibe designer box algorithm.Can you tell how to proceed with CSV reader in the designer..
Assuming you have compiled the file-io plugin with respect to that branch, I would say it is probably due to the fact that the box is marked as unstable. These unstable boxes do not show up by default in OpenVibe: to enable displaying of unstable box algorithms you need to set the corresponding property in the configuration file (in the share directory, look for: openvibe.conf and look for the property Designer_ShowUnstable) to true.
pickku wrote:And can you give some idea of how to proceed with the project I posted earlier here and how to process ,extract and classify the signals
I do not know exactly what you want to accomplish but the scenarios in the share\openvibe-scenarios\bci are a good way to get to know the use of the different boxes (together with the documentation at http://openvibe.inria.fr/documentation/ ... ithms.html

Best regards,
Dieter Devlaminck

pickku

Post by pickku »

Thankyou for your reply.
I did exactly what you told, changed Designer_ShowUnstable to true then also the CSV reader is not coming in designer.

Actually my project is in BCI where I will be using eye movements to control the movement of NXT LEGO robot,
so I want to know about how after acquiring the signal feature extraction should be done,then classification of the signals finally how to use to control the robot

karthiks

Post by karthiks »

pickku wrote:Thankyou for your reply.
I did exactly what you told, changed Designer_ShowUnstable to true then also the CSV reader is not coming in designer.

Actually my project is in BCI where I will be using eye movements to control the movement of NXT LEGO robot,
so I want to know about how after acquiring the signal feature extraction should be done,then classification of the signals finally how to use to control the robot
I have compiled the project and I can confirm that the box shows.

I shall briefly outline the steps and you can check with your steps -

1. Edit the init_env_command script and edit this line as - "SET OpenViBE_plugin_file_io_branch=branches\wip-bpayan-csv-reader"

2. Run the build script.

3. Edit the openvibe.conf file to make the show unstable = true

4. you should have the box.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Karthik

pickku

Post by pickku »

Thankyou ,I followed all the steps given by you and once more I checked,but its not working and csv reader box doesn't show up in designer page

karthiks

Post by karthiks »

pickku wrote:Thankyou ,I followed all the steps given by you and once more I checked,but its not working and csv reader box doesn't show up in designer page
Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but did you check under the file reading and writing - csv branch in the designer?
Regards,

Karthik

ddvlamin

Post by ddvlamin »

in addition to the previous post.

In your win32-init_env_command.cmd script: is the line

Code: Select all

echo %OpenViBE_plugin_file_io% >> %OpenViBE_build_order%
uncommented? In other words, is the new compiled file OpenViBE-plugins-file-io-dynamic.dll copied to your dist/bin directory. And do you start the right OpenViBE version. In the past I sometimes installed two versions and always started the wrong one so that your newly compiled plugins do not show.

best regards,
Dieter Devlaminck

pickku

Post by pickku »

Everything is correct and I did exactly what you told but sorry CSV reader is not coming in designer window.Please help me out because my signals are in CSV format and I want to read it.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear pickku,

at this point, I suggest you wait a couple of weeks, the upcoming 0.10.0 release will include this box.

Yann

pickku

Post by pickku »

Thankyou.

When I was going through website I came to know about BLiFF++ Library and after reading about it I downloaded, in that install document it is given first we have to install itpp,gsl,boost etc,then I downloaded those files but also for the corresponding files their is one big procedure for installation.I got confused and writing to you. Please help me to install BLiFF++ and its related library.

And also tell me how to use BLiFF++.

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear pickku,

actually, BLiFF++ is not OpenViBE so this is not the place you'll have the best help in operating it. The best place to post your question is either the BLiFF++ forum or mail the author Fabien Lotte ;)

This said, Fabien Lotte is also reading this forum so he may see your post. Please note that BLiFF++ is currently not ported on Windows and as far as I know, it's been a long time since it has not been used on Linux.

Hope this helps,
Yann

fabien.lotte

Post by fabien.lotte »

Dear Pickku,

Thank you for your interest in BLiFF++.
However as mentioned Yann, BLiFF++ is indeed independant from OpenViBE, and does work only with Linux. Moreover, I actually didn't use it for more than 2 years, so I cannot guarantee that it still works, but you are welcome to try. But if I am not wrong, you plan to do online BCI to control a LEGO robot is that right? In this case, I am not sure that BLiFF++ would be the most suitable tool for you as it is mainly an offline BCI library, not one to do online BCI.

I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Fabien

pickku

Post by pickku »

Thankyou for your reply sir. I want to know what is the difference between online and offline,this may be quite weird question,but I am not getting the terms.Also can you tell me whether my project can be implemented using openvibe.