Running Acquisition Server on Wine to get more drivers (?)

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
toncho11

Running Acquisition Server on Wine to get more drivers (?)

Post by toncho11 »

I tried to install OpenVibe for Windows on Wine 1.5.13 on Fedora 17 and it worked. It did not work out of the box, but it works.
Let's call the Windows Acquisition Server "WAS". So I was able to connect WAS and the Linux version of the Designer both running on Fedora.

Next thing is to see how to configure an USB amplifier in Wine on Linux. If that is successful then all the Linux folks will rejoice :) including me.

So Wine does not support USB by default. You have to apply a few patches and recompile the source: http://wiki.winehq.org/USB. The source (1.5.7) compiled just fine with the patches.

Usually an amplifier comes with an installation disk with Windows drivers. So I can either try to install it directly in Wine or install the driver manually as described in the link above.

We can not say if it works or not as a whole. It will work depending on the Windows driver provided.

So that's it for now. I do not have an amplifier right now to continue 8)
Last edited by toncho11 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayseye

Re: Running Acquisition Server on Wine to get more drivers (

Post by jayseye »

Thanks toncho11, I will also rejoice when you get this tested and confirmed! I'd be concerned about effects of the overhead on response time / latency, so am looking forward to reading more about the actual results.